Anyone got a good tofu recipe?

Options
gonnamakeanewaccount
gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
I've never tried it before, and I'm thinking of picking up some tomorrow when I go grocery shopping. I have no idea how to cook it, so help!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    One of my personal favorites is to cube it and pan fry it in PAM until golden brown and a little crispy. Add sliced bell pepper and bamboo shoots (or your preferred mix of veggies) to the pan until they cook through, then add teriyaki sauce (there are a lot of low calorie ones that are quite good) and mix together. Serve over rice or quinoa.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think tofu scrambles are one of the safer ways to introduce yourself to tofu. If you've never had it you may be put off because it seems bland. Tofu requires a bit of tlc before it's really yummy but when you've learned how versatile it is it's awesome. I've used tofu to make chocolate pudding or blended it into smoothies, I've subbed it for ricotta in lasagna or stuffed shells. I've grilled it for sandwiches. I've used it in tacos (both at breakfast and dinner) and of course I've pan fried it for Asian dishes.

There are a million ways to make a tofu scramble but it's hard to mess up so long as you season it generously. Just press out as much water as you can and cook it in a hot skillet with whatever you want. At breakfast time I usually cook some onions and garlic before throwing the tofu in, then add salsa and chopped sausage. At the end I'll melt some cheese over the top. For dinner I might mix it with basil pesto or herbed cream cheese to put in a casserole. I've mixed it with mashed avocado, dill, and celery for a mock egg salad sandwich. Whenever I fry it I like to toss it with a little corn starch, shake off the excess, and then sear it at a high heat in minimal oil. This is sort of bland so I always serve it with a really flavorful sauce.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like coating it in panko bread crumbs and lightly frying it in oil. It gives a crunch to the tofu...

...or crumbling it up, adding seasonings and putting it into taco shells.

You can also cook it in soy sauce with sesame seeds and toss it into salad!

I have a lot of tofu/veggie recipes on my pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/olivialove09/delish-recipes-savory/

:flowerforyou:
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think tofu scrambles are one of the safer ways to introduce yourself to tofu. If you've never had it you may be put off because it seems bland. Tofu requires a bit of tlc before it's really yummy but when you've learned how versatile it is it's awesome. I've used tofu to make chocolate pudding or blended it into smoothies, I've subbed it for ricotta in lasagna or stuffed shells. I've grilled it for sandwiches. I've used it in tacos (both at breakfast and dinner) and of course I've pan fried it for Asian dishes.

There are a million ways to make a tofu scramble but it's hard to mess up so long as you season it generously. Just press out as much water as you can and cook it in a hot skillet with whatever you want. At breakfast time I usually cook some onions and garlic before throwing the tofu in, then add salsa and chopped sausage. At the end I'll melt some cheese over the top. For dinner I might mix it with basil pesto or herbed cream cheese to put in a casserole. I've mixed it with mashed avocado, dill, and celery for a mock egg salad sandwich. Whenever I fry it I like to toss it with a little corn starch, shake off the excess, and then sear it at a high heat in minimal oil. This is sort of bland so I always serve it with a really flavorful sauce.

Awesome ideas! Thank you. :heart:
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The Vegetarian Times' website has a lot of great tofu recipes. One of my favourite recipes of theirs is a Quinoa Salad with Baked Marinated Tofu.

A very easy way of preparing tofu is simply dredging it in Cajun seasoning and pan-frying it. You can either serve it as a 'burger' - on a bun with lettuce and tomatoes - or with a side of corn on the cob and sweet pepper salsa.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tofu is a staple ingredient of chinese cooking in mainland China. I know because my wife is Chinese, try this one

Ginger sweet tofu with pak choi

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412629/ginger-sweet-tofu-with-pak-choi

if you cant get Pak Choi, substitute it with Spinach leaves
  • goingforthegoal125
    goingforthegoal125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take onion, green or red peppers fry in a little olive oil about a TBSP. When almost done I add canned diced tomatoes and spices. I like dill, garlic powder, salad session, vegetable seasoning. I then cube my tofu up and add to the tomatoes, cook maybe 15 or 20 minutes, stirring occasionally . I eat and enjoy. This is low calorie and filling. I have it for breakfast. Sometimes if I only have a little left I scramble eggs on it to make it go further.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    In many recipes you can substitute tofu for the protein. The trick, as previously mentioned is pressing out as much of the water as possible. You'll want to use extra firm or firm varieties for stir frys, scrambles, pan frying. Stick with the silken for smoothies or dips.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying that i really really (REALLY) tried to like tofu, but i really really don't...so to me "good tofu recipe" is an oxymoron.

however, there is one recipe that is supposedly pretty fool proof:
    1. rinse and dry the tofu.
    2. really really dry - using paper towels press hard on all sides.
    3. slice lengthwise into slices about one inch thick.
    4. place side by side in a baking pan
    5. marinade with preferably homemade sauce (try asian style - ginger, garlic, green onion, soy, honey)
    6. bake at a slow oven till most of the sauce gets soaked up by the tofu.

As I said *I* don't like it but this is supposed to be good
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch on my vegetarian pinterest board: www.pinterest.com/crista_b/living-the-veg-life/

Two of my favorites are:

Spicy Asian Tofu which I've adapted from this recipe: http://www.savorysimple.net/spicy-asian-tofu-weight-watchers/
    Basically, just brown the tofu like others have mentioned here, then add stir-fry veggies, then add some sriracha and soy sauce. Serve over brown rice. Delish!

and
    Buffalo Roasted Tofu: http://chowvegan.com/2010/02/07/buffalo-style-roasted-tofu/
    It's a nice substitute for buffalo wings. I love tofu, and since I'm a vegetarian, I don't get to have boneless wings anymore since I don't like the chicken, but the tofu is a great replacement!
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Fry some extra firm tofu up in some lemon juice, garlic and teriyaki sauce. Super easy and delicious!