I'm afraid of being stronger than men.

Options
I'm female obviously. I recently started strength training after making tons of excuses not to haha. Guess what? I love it!!! LOVE it! It feels great and I'm looking great, and I love the whole lifestyle!
However, I do have this nagging fear of like, being stronger than men. Wouldn't that severely limit my dating pool? Because personally, I wouldn't want to date a man weaker than me. The guy I'm currently somewhat interested in doesn't have any muscle and I feel like now that I'm into lifting squatting and pressing, he's pretty much off the table. I feel like I need a guy who lifts, but I don't know ANY. What should I do?
PS I know people will call me superficial but I can't help but love a big strong man. it's some primal instinct in me.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are there no men at your gym? They lift, don't they? :)

If you associate with like minded people, with similar hobbies, you'll meet people who enjoy similar things to you. Perhaps join a different gym with a focus on powerlifting or bodybuilding...

Or, get the guy you like in to training. I know plenty of couples who train together, and one of the pair has started because of the other. I started training because my now husband did...
  • xtxtxtx
    xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
    Options

If you associate with like minded people, with similar hobbies, you'll meet people who enjoy similar things to you. Perhaps join a different gym with a focus on powerlifting or bodybuilding...

Or, get the guy you like in to training. I know plenty of couples who train together, and one of the pair has started because of the other. I started training because my now husband did...

I never know how to approach the guys at the gym. They're busy working out I don't wanna bother them :/ heh..:/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    xtxtxtx wrote: »

I never know how to approach the guys at the gym. They're busy working out I don't wanna bother them :/ heh..:/

I'm sure they rest in between sets. Maybe ask for some tips, or a spot ;)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that severely limit my dating pool?

well, i guess . . . but if strength is one of your dealbreakers i can't say i see how that's such a bad thing. to be brutal about it because i am tired and can't word, you'd end up rejecting them anyway, right? so i don't see how it matters if they never get into your pool to start with. saves you trouble and saves a lot of probably-perfectly-nice men some distress.

not my business, but is it critically necessary that you need to approach them Right Now? what comes to my mind is that if you love lifting and you're always going to be int he gym anyway, the only reason why this would matter would be if it was. otherwise, time and familiarity just naturally seems to create 'relationships' between regulars. by relationship i dont' mean a dating thing, but people get to know each other.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that severely limit my dating pool?
    Maybe, then again it may bring in some focus.
    And just for the record not all men are intimidated by strong women. Also people can have muscle tone without living. My husband is a runner, not much in they way of weight lifting, but when he is in his running shape he definitely has muscle on him.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ask them to spot you while you are bench pressing - that will give you an idea if they are big and strong men.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ask them to spot you while you are bench pressing - that will give you an idea if they are big and strong men.

LOL!!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    And that's a bad thing?
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting shows a level of dedication and accomplishment. Being attracted to that is definitely NOT superficial.
    You rock, and don't settle for someone that doesn't (in your eyes.)