Protein intake

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
I know it's 1g per Ibs of bodyweight so we say 150g of protein =600kcals right. So if I'm a fella needing to eat 4000kcals to gain weight (for example) I need to eat 3400kcals from carbs and fats.
Shouldn't my protein percentage be higher if my protein levels are only 12% or 15% in marco needs??
Just throwing a question out there to get an idea

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    7% of 4000 isn't 600?

But... You can eat more than that, there's no harm in eating more protein.
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited April 2017
    Options
    25% protein takes me hitting over 300g of protein which is pointless for a person weight 150pounds
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    25% protein takes me hitting over 300g of protein which is pointless for a person weight 150pounds

25% of 4000 cals is 1000 cals.

1g protein = 4 cals.

So, 25% protein =250g.

There's no harm in eating more. You can eat what you like! If you want more carbs or fat, allocate your macros as you choose
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cool. Cheers
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited April 2017
    Options

1g protein = 4 cals.

So, 25% protein =250g.

There's no harm in eating more. You can eat what you like! If you want more carbs or fat, allocate your macros as you choose

Couldn't be arsed to work it out. Just threw a number out there haha
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Shoot for 0.8g/lb of LBM as a minimum. If you want to do 1g/lb of bodyweight, that's fine. 0.35g fat/lb bodyweight as a minimum. Fill the rest in as desired - carbs, more protein, more fat. It won't hurt to go over your goals. Sara shows you how to do the math to work out your percentages in the above linked thread.
  • tamikanna
    tamikanna Posts: 4 Member
    Options

1g protein = 4 cals.

So, 25% protein =250g.

Actually too much protein could harm you. Kidneys, dehydration, and GI tract. You really only need 7-15 grams of extra protein on top of what you should have. All the excess protein just turns into fat or you just *kitten* it out. But if you choose to have a high protein diet than make sure you get in 24-30g fiber a day to help out your GI.
  • thebullet118
    thebullet118 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you aren't 150lbs trying to eat 4000kcals? If so then you'll only end up fat as it's too many kcals to gain lean muscle mass.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    One gram per lb of body weight is pretty standard on a bulk.

If you are a little aged 50+ you probably need a little more assume your T levels are lower.

I would concern myself with the minimums of protien and fat and general energy level and eat appropriately to your desire.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Just to be clear, you aren't 150lbs trying to eat 4000kcals? If so then you'll only end up fat as it's too many kcals to gain lean muscle mass.

No I'm not I was just wondering cos I see a lot of posts like it. So I thought I ask
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    tamikanna wrote: »

1g protein = 4 cals.

So, 25% protein =250g.

Actually too much protein could harm you. Kidneys, dehydration, and GI tract. You really only need 7-15 grams of extra protein on top of what you should have. All the excess protein just turns into fat or you just *kitten* it out. But if you choose to have a high protein diet than make sure you get in 24-30g fiber a day to help out your GI.

Literally everything about this has been debunked over and over and over, and the only real part (the fiber) is a range that most people should be shooting for anyway. Hell, I can hit 70g of fiber per day without even trying.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1g/lb of protein. Then hella carbs