Going sugar free

Options
Cconnaughton8
Cconnaughton8 Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2017 in Challenges
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for anyone who is keen to have support to give up sugar? I'm going to start as of right this second (after consuming my body weight in Easter eggs the last few days). It's so addictive & always seems to ruin my progress.

Would love the support to take on this difficult yet rewarding challenge!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you getting rid of all sugar or just free sugar?
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yes good question, is this just artificial sugar or natural as well (fructose, honey, etc)?

I did completely artificial sugar free in January and felt AMAZING, and it gave me much more control over my eating.

I am so tempted to join you on this, I need to think if I can say goodbye to wine again :'(:'(:'(
  • yolswell
    yolswell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Interested in joining you.

I managed 5 days without artificial sugar last week and was starting to feel pretty good by the end of it. Blip over the weekend (ice cream and wine in the sun...), but now determined to get back on it.
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would love this challenge!!! I have been able to go about 5-7 days and then blow it too. And I feel so good when I am off of sugar. I am like you, I work out and eat right all day, then at night I get into the sugar, be it candy, cake, ice cream etc and then can not break the habit and undo all my weight loss from the previous week. I lose 5 lbs, then gain 5 lbs. This has been going on since last September. I am in. I need to be accountable to someone, so I will be checking in every evening (when I can) so that I can stay on-track.
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I lose 5 lbs, then gain 5 lbs. This has been going on since last September. I am in. I need to be accountable to someone, so I will be checking in every evening (when I can) so that I can stay on-track.

Oh my god this is literally me!

I have been losing the same 5lbs for months now :-( :-(

OK, I am going to do this but be a chicken and not start until after Easter weekend. I am away this weekend so will have NO control over my food choices.

Good luck guys, this will be amazing!
  • n2gardens56
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    I lose 5 lbs, then gain 5 lbs. This has been going on since last September. I am in. I need to be accountable to someone, so I will be checking in every evening (when I can) so that I can stay on-track.

Oh my god this is literally me!

I have been losing the same 5lbs for months now :-( :-(

OK, I am going to do this but be a chicken and not start until after Easter weekend. I am away this weekend so will have NO control over my food choices.

Good luck guys, this will be amazing!

Great, I will see you after Easter Sunday!!!
  • yolswell
    Options
    Yes! Also need to eat my house clean of sugar...
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am not going completely sugar free, but the last two weeks I've cut out sugar from my morning coffee and just drink it with cream. I actually like it so that's a win win haha. Basically, I want to reduce it as much as I can! Won't give up wine though hahah I'll just drink less of it ;)
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    I try to only have natural sugars (from vegetables, plain dairy products, etc) and I try to keep it below 15g, and carbs under 30g.
    Cutting sugar completely would limit food choices to just protein and some fats.
  • yolswell
    Options
    I agree completely cutting out all sugars is just unrealistic and not healthy. Personally I feel a total ban on added sugar is unrealistic too in the long term. So I'm going to try and not beat myself up if I have the occasional treat. As long as I can keep them as occasional treats! I think that's what this is about for me - breaking the thoughts in my brain that say I need something sweet every few hours, every day.

Sarah I am impressed with your 15g a day limit on sugar. I'm currently trying out a limit of 25g sugar (which isn't too hard if I don't have chocolate or processed foods). Might gradually work it down over a few weeks and see how I go.
  • wordyone
    wordyone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to stay completely away from artificial sugar. It causes me to make the very worst choices in my eating habits. Not saying it' s for everyone. But for me it is like a drug.
  • vae0033
    vae0033 Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm in for a gradual reduction starting with a 35g cap daily then on to 30g, 25g etc. maybe weekly. I'll start after Easter
  • ldyslater
    ldyslater Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is me. Sugar is definitely my weakness. I did stop for week, and I felt great and lost 4lbs. Soon gained it back once I went back to the sugar. I am in! I need all the support I can get.
  • n2gardens56
    Options
    My goal is to cut out processed sugar. I have to have whole-fruit in my diet, so there is natural sugar in the fruit but it does not cause binge-eating like processed sugar for me. I think just knowing I was committing to this made me binge for a few days on sugary treats, and then I "thought I would wait until after Easter" but TODAY is a good day to start, or I will delay this forever. I have been tired of waking up every morning with a sugar-hangover. I am like everyone else here, I lose weight when I cut out the sugar and I am SO addicted to it and as "wordyone" I make bad food choices the remainder of the day when I consume sugar. Sure can use the support of others here so I will be checking back in. Good luck to everyone today!
  • jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want to do this. I have a bad addiction to sugar so this week I will reduce and next Monday I'm going to try to cut all sugar except natural