Does black coffee help or hurt your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You're hungry in the afternoon because you haven't eaten very much. You can eat breakfast or stick to black coffee, but you need to eat enough overall one way or another. Personally, I have breakfast and coffee in the morning, lunch, and then coffee in the afternoon to get me through to an early dinner. I do find that cup around 3 kills my hunger for an hour or two. To feel full, you need to make sure you're getting some carbs, fat, and protein in your meals, too, not just one macro. Some people play around between them to see what makes them feel the fullest/best.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Helps if you drink it black, which I do. (See below).

I started drinking coffee again in the morning to suppress my appetite, which allows me to skip breakfast w/o feeling hungry and allowing me to "load up" on lunch/dinner which I'd rather do.

MFP just posted a blog article making this point:

"Your daily cup of joe may do more than just help you roll out of bed each morning. It stimulates the brain and nervous system, and contains antioxidants that may help improve glucose metabolism — which not only helps suppress the appetite, but also lowers the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Caffeinated coffee may also stimulate thermogenesis, and the body’s ability to burn more fat stores, improving performance in endurance exercises like running and biking.

While the effects of coffee on weight loss are likely minimal, the overall health benefits are reason enough to enjoy a cup or two each morning as part of your daily routine. A 2014 systematic review and meta-analysis of 36 studies found those who drank their morning cups of coffee were actually at the lowest risk for heart problems.

A cup of advice: Not all coffee is created equal — most of the benefits associated with coffee are singular to black coffee — not the cream and sugar-filled coffee beverages from drive-thrus and coffee boutiques. Limit the flavored (and over-priced) lattes to a rare treat."

See: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-foods-surprisingly-good-weight-loss/
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The only way black coffee directly affects my weight is it makes me have to go to the bathroom.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Helps if you drink it black, which I do. (See below).

I started drinking coffee again in the morning to suppress my appetite, which allows me to skip breakfast w/o feeling hungry and allowing me to "load up" on lunch/dinner which I'd rather do.

MFP just posted a blog article making this point:

"Your daily cup of joe may do more than just help you roll out of bed each morning. It stimulates the brain and nervous system, and contains antioxidants that may help improve glucose metabolism — which not only helps suppress the appetite, but also lowers the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Caffeinated coffee may also stimulate thermogenesis, and the body’s ability to burn more fat stores, improving performance in endurance exercises like running and biking.

While the effects of coffee on weight loss are likely minimal, the overall health benefits are reason enough to enjoy a cup or two each morning as part of your daily routine. A 2014 systematic review and meta-analysis of 36 studies found those who drank their morning cups of coffee were actually at the lowest risk for heart problems.

A cup of advice: Not all coffee is created equal — most of the benefits associated with coffee are singular to black coffee — not the cream and sugar-filled coffee beverages from drive-thrus and coffee boutiques. Limit the flavored (and over-priced) lattes to a rare treat."

See: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-foods-surprisingly-good-weight-loss/

Drinking coffee with cream and sugar added wouldn't cancel out the coffee part though. It would just be adding cream and sugar, right?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee with cream and sugar added wouldn't cancel out the coffee part though. It would just be adding cream and sugar, right?

Yes but, if weight loss is your goal, cream & sugar add cals that have to be offset or accounted for w/in your cal allowance. If you can do that w/o going over, fine. If not, you might want to try just drinking your coffee black.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes but, if weight loss is your goal, cream & sugar add cals that have to be offset or accounted for w/in your cal allowance. If you can do that w/o going over, fine. If not, you might want to try just drinking your coffee black.

I get the calories should be accounted for, but the text said that "most of the benefits associated with coffee are singular to black coffee." But most of those benefits (like being a stimulant, containing antioxidants, etc) wouldn't be cancelled by the presence of cream or sugar. You would simply have a higher calorie drink that also had the benefits of black coffee.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I get the calories should be accounted for, but the text said that "most of the benefits associated with coffee are singular to black coffee." But most of those benefits (like being a stimulant, containing antioxidants, etc) wouldn't be cancelled by the presence of cream or sugar. You would simply have a higher calorie drink that also had the benefits of black coffee.

IME useless blog is useless.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is great for you! Same with green tea. They both have antioxidants, lowers risk of type 2 diabetes, and reduces the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. The problem becomes when you drink too much of it or put lots of sugar and cream in it! One cup of black coffee a day has great benefits!
    Relser wrote: »
    Are you only have coffee for breakfast? If so, that's why you are hungry in the afternoon! I have it every morning with breakfast and am losing at a steady rate.

I'm learning in my nutrition class that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day and dinner should be the smallest! To help with this, eat lots of protien for breakfast. Keeps you full longer!

i would get your money back. that sounds like they are teaching you a lot of woo.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I can't drink it in the afternoon, or my sleep suffers. But 3-4 in the morning works for me. Black as well (unless it's the weekend and I have Baileys hanging around, but then I have to count the calories).

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs on highly creamed coffee, then switched to straight black - gained another 10.

Then I learned how to drip feed it into my veins so I had a constant supply from first wake till I removed it at 5pm.

ps. have you thought about eating a better lunch, or planning an afternoon snack that satiates?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

A tablespoon of half-and-half has 20 calories. You could burn that off just by parking your car on the other side of the parking lot from the coffeehouse.