Most successful ways to lower blood pressure

Options
For the first time in my life I have high blood pressure (150/86). My doctor is giving me 2 weeks to bring it down to normal (130/80). I am on a doctor mandated diet so I know that will help but what other ways have you seen lower blood pressure?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Only two weeks? Dietary changes and exercise combined with weight loss help...but it's quite a bit longer process than two weeks.

Agreed. Your doctor may want you to start a med and then revisit your progress after a few months.
  • cherilee0831
    cherilee0831 Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    She probably said two weeks because I was adamant about not going on meds since high blood pressure is new to me. Do you think through diet and exercise it will lower a bit in 2 weeks?
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Dash Diet, exercise, medications, weight management. High blood pressure can wreak havoc on your blood vessels. It's the #2 cause of kidney disease and the #1 cause of strokes. Don't fight the doctor on taking medication. Work really hard on lifestyle to get it down, but you might need medication now.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    She probably said two weeks because I was adamant about not going on meds since high blood pressure is new to me. Do you think through diet and exercise it will lower a bit in 2 weeks?

Usually first line of meds doctors prescribed for high blood pressure is a diuretic (water pill). It will flush your body of excess water and sodium. I took a prescribed diuretic for a year until I got my diet and health moving in the right direction. Diuretics are cheap, safe and fairly effective.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life I have high blood pressure (150/86). My doctor is giving me 2 weeks to bring it down to normal (130/80). I am on a doctor mandated diet so I know that will help but what other ways have you seen lower blood pressure?

My blood pressure is in the normal range, so I have no experience with medication etc. Is 150/86 actually high enough to require medication? They do change guidelines every so often, so I may just not be up to date on this.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    #1 Do what your doctor says.
    #2 Stay on the diet your doctor wants you on.
    #3 Some other things that may help lower blood pressure are exercise, reducing caffeine (if that's not already part of your diet plan), and either eliminating stress or dealing with stress better. But only exercise if your doctor says it's OK.

I agree with the others about starting medication now, which is what your doctor recommended anyway. High blood pressure is a serious problem. Later if you're able to bring your blood pressure down through diet, exercise, etc., your doctor might reduce the medication or take you off it.

ETA: Diet and exercise really can help. I'm an example of that. I'm not thin, but I eat carefully and exercise regularly (nothing fancy, just brisk walking or hiking) and my BP is quite healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Not likely. My best advice would be to take the meds if they're prescribed...it's really not a big deal and you'll start small with the most basic which will likely be a diuretic. Keep working on your diet and fitness and dropping weight and address things as they come.

In my case, diet and exercise decreased the amount of medication I need...but my situation is largely hereditary so even though I eat very well, maintain a healthy weight, and exercise regularly, I still need meds...meds are better than the alternative to be sure.
  • pinuplove
    edited April 2017
    Options

My blood pressure is in the normal range, so I have no experience with medication etc. Is 150/86 actually high enough to require medication? They do change guidelines every so often, so I may just not be up to date on this.
    https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/KnowYourNumbers/Understanding-Blood-Pressure-Readings_UCM_301764_Article.jsp
    According to this site, 150 systolic is Hypertensive Stage 1 and 86 diastolic is Prehypertensive. The decision to medicate should take other risk factors, personal, and familial history into consideration. I was (successfully) treated with numbers in that range (slightly higher diastolic) with a diuretic, as @Daddy78230 mentioned above. I've now lowered mine enough to not need medication, but I know given my history it's likely I'll need it again at some point.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Aside from decreasing sodium and increasing potassium, it is unlikely that you will see much change in two weeks. But weight loss helps because you need less blood and cardio helps because you train your heart to pump blood more efficiently.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was way above 150/86 which was one of the reasons I decided I needed to take matters seriously and change my lifestyle. I was prescribed a low dose medication. Ultimately changing my eating habits (reducing sodium) and exercise made a HUGE difference which enabled me to be prescription free for about 2 years now.

I still keep a check on it but so far - so good.

I'd say with the 2 week window you were given, I'd be willing to bet you don't see a huge drop. Just my guess though. You can beat this, I just think it may take a lot longer than 2 weeks.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure for the first time as well (I'm 57). Even with medication, it takes some time to get the pressure down to a normal level. Things that will lower blood pressure are to lose weight, exercise, eat a low sodium diet, cut out alcohol and caffeine and drink lots and lots of water. I'm also determined to get healthy enough to go off the medication, but it is a commitment to change your lifestyle for the rest of your life and it will take longer than two weeks. Every minute you walk around with high blood pressure you risk permanently damaging your heart, kidneys or other organs and you are at risk for a stroke or heart attack. Get on the medication and then work on your weight and diet.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree 2 weeks may not be enough time. Stick to their diet (which is probably low sodium). Exercise. Avoid stimulants (energy drinks, caffeine, tobacco). Consider adding a magnesium supplement daily. Drink more water. If you are overweight/obese now is the time to start trying to lose.
  • vegaspack
    vegaspack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just curious if she checked it more than once? I have white coat hypertension so my BP is elevated in medical settings? I monitor mine at home so it might be a good idea for you to get some readings outside of her office just to see. If you had increased stress the day of your appointment it could have raised your pressure.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Mine was 165/110 and I have more than 2 weeks to get it down by diet. Cutting salt didnt help at all.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Mine was 165/110 and I have more than 2 weeks to get it down by diet. Cutting salt didnt help at all.

@nevadavis1 That's somewhat alarmingly high. I'm very surprised you weren't put on medication immediately.
  • Brighidbomber
    Brighidbomber Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Get active - Walk each day - Make sure its low to moderate walking if you are not already fulfilling this! Start with that. Do a resting yoga practice each day - Yoga nidra - You can find them on the internet - Its technically & scientifically proven to improve overall cardiac function. BP is a result of Cardiac function. Yoga nidra is a 20mins guided easy lying practice which you can do at home. Take 20mins & simply be guided. Stay warm enough & simply listen to the teacher. See how you get on.