1 year later and frustrated

Options
2»

Replies

• jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You should be able to still build muscle. It's going to depend on your program and how much surplus you eat. How long have you been running this routine? You might get better results from a different one.

I think I'd prefer a minuscule surplus. I did strong curves for 9 months- through the end of the cycle. Switched to strong lifts but found it too depleting, and have been doing wendler for ~2 mos.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    It sounds like you need a long term bulk if you want more muscle. How long have you actually been eating over maintenance?

Not very long. I'm gonna sound stupid...like 3 weeks. But I had been maintaining at 97 for a good long time. Sorta freaking...

Yeah, three weeks isn't going to show anything from a bulk. You might consider a plan on bulking that accepts weight gain as progress. Have a plan and sticking to it will bring you sucess.
  • jerb00
    Options
    104 I'd still pretty small, even with muscles. Are you still trying to build muscle? Your post is all over the place and hard to understand your goal.

Sorry for rambling post. I want the toned look everyone talks about. Thought I'd get there by losing weight, but didn't. Thought I'd try lifting at deficit and maintenance to get there, but didn't. It was suggested that I don't have enough muscle to give me the look I want even if I lost more fat, so eating above maintenance and lifting should get me where I want to be- larger muscles less fat. Really, I just look fatter.

Gotcha. Well, since you aren't starting from having much muscle, building a lot is tough and is going to come with some fat gain. That's just how it is for many people. I know it's going to freak you out, but you may have to get a bit bigger than you want, so that you can lean down. Or you need to be a lot more patient and build slowly almost as if doing a recomp.
    It sounds like you need a long term bulk if you want more muscle. How long have you actually been eating over maintenance?

Not very long. I'm gonna sound stupid...like 3 weeks. But I had been maintaining at 97 for a good long time. Sorta freaking...

Bulk/cut cycles can be psychologically challenging, so you need to make sure you are in the right place mentally before you embark on this. It doesn't sound like you are there yet. When you bulk, adding on fat comes part and parcel with adding on muscle, and your genetics will determine how much muscle you can add. Since you were sitting comfortably at 97 lbs, you may want to consider recomping instead, and maybe next winter consider another long, slow, clean bulk over a period of several months--if gaining muscle/strength is more important to you than sitting on the lower end of your healthy BMI range. With either recomp or bulk/cut, it takes commitment for the long haul, and you just have to bring a lot of stubborness and a thick skin for doing what is best in the long run.
    DopeItUp wrote: »

It takes months and years of hard work to build an appreciable physique, especially as a woman. Patience is probably the best thing I can prescribe.

Thanks for the responses. I am not a very patient person, so this will be a physical and emotional challenge. The truth is that I thought I'd see an appreciable difference in a year- maybe not what my ideal look is- but a def improvement and there isn't one.

So this brings me to my next question as I am not mentally prepared for a true bulk- if I continue the modified wendler program (strength and hypertrophy focused 5 days. Week lifting) with my new increased cals set between 1550-1700 will I continue to gain fat or have I sort of peaked and will just maintain at this point? Like, I get that I can't build real muscle at this point but will I keep gaining fat or stay where I am? Would i be basically spinning my wheels?

If you are eating at a slight deficit or at maintenance and lifting progressively, that will be a recomp, and you will slooooowly pare away fat and add muscle. If you are slightly above maintenance, you will sloooooowly add both fat and muscle, but you will want to wrap your head around the fact that that is not bad, as you can then pare the fat away in the cut cycle (assuming you can be disciplined with the lower calorie portion of this cycle, which is a different challenge).

How has your lifting been with the increase in calories--have you noticed good progress there?

I definitely get the frustration part...I have been lifting for a year, and really regret losing most of my weight before I understood the importance of preserving muscle. Also, I have a slab of fat still riding over my abs, about the size of a 1-lb flank steak, and it just drives me nuts! It's just my genetics and not much I can do about it but patiently pare away bit by bit. And it can be hard to see the changes from day to day, but maybe you have some photos where you can compare the progress from over the year? In your description of your glutes and such, it definitely sounds like you have made some great progress--a perky booty is always nice!

Actually, the increased calories have helped me sleep better I think, and have helping with the lifting. I am increasing weight (even though strength is not a priority) and while I work hard i don't feel drained to the point of exhaustion where I did before. My booty is certainly looking better - huge plus- but along with the growth there has come growth in the saddlebag area. Ugh. This is also compounding the frustration. I'll take your advice and keep plugging away.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    If you aren't prepared for a bulk, do a recomp. Keep lifting, stick with a program and give it your all. It looks like in the last year you switched programs twice (so you ran three programs within the year). Pick a program, stick with it for the long haul, eat at maintenance. A recomp is a very slow process but for those people who can't handle a bulk (I am one of them) it's a good option. Take pictures and measurements frequently as you might not notice the little changes that are happening but a photo can and it can be really helpful with motivation.

Thanks for the feedback. I switched from strong curves to strong lifts when I finished the program. Couldn't swing strong curves so I switched to wendler. Planning to stick with it. I j ow program hopping is no good. I do take measurements but not pics. But right now I need all the motivation I can get so I'll get on the pic bandwagon. Thanks!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You are an inch shorter than me and I would absolutely love to hit 110. I weighed 104 briefly 3 yrs ago and people were worried about me being so small and begging me to eat. I cannot imagine weighing 94 lbs.

Yes, you can continue to strength train to develop that definition you are looking for. I think that is a great goal but not to lose weight. Bear in mind at 94 or 104 lbs you are a long way from fat and perhaps in need of someone to talk to about your distorted image of your body. As I read your posts I am far more concerned about not only your physical health but mental and emotional as well.
  • jerb00
    Options
    If you keep your cals where they are, and if you are now maintaining weight, you will continue to maintain and be doing a recomp running Wendlers.

I do think 1500-1700 is a big spread for your size. I would look at zeroing in on maintenance calories using a TDEE calculator ( plus personal data) as your workouts are consistent. I will edit at the end with a link to the sailrabbit calculator. I am petite and find this, using the M StJ, is the most accurate for me, it does give a good spread of all calculations though.

If the fluff is really getting to you you may want to do a mini cut, 250cal and continuing lifting, down to 98-100 then continue a recomp from there.

Recomps are slow. I have been doing one for 3 years ( I go off plan a few odd months a year so expect it to be extra slow) and couldn't see any results until I put a series of pictures side by side. Sometimes the visual tells more than the scale or tape measure.

Cheers, h.
    TDEE calculator.
    http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

I am leaning this way. Mini cut and recomp the hell out of 98 lbs. I think I'll feel best this way. I love the tdee calc you included. Thanks for that. Helped me decide on a good starting point.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Yeah, three weeks isn't going to show anything from a bulk. You might consider a plan on bulking that accepts weight gain as progress. Have a plan and sticking to it will bring you sucess.

You are right. I was more concerned with the quick weight gain than lack of muscle but your advice for sticking to a plan is really what I need to do. Thanks.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    You are an inch shorter than me and I would absolutely love to hit 110. I weighed 104 briefly 3 yrs ago and people were worried about me being so small and begging me to eat. I cannot imagine weighing 94 lbs.

Yes, you can continue to strength train to develop that definition you are looking for. I think that is a great goal but not to lose weight. Bear in mind at 94 or 104 lbs you are a long way from fat and perhaps in need of someone to talk to about your distorted image of your body. As I read your posts I am far more concerned about not only your physical health but mental and emotional as well.

I get what you are saying. Like you and others have said, maybe it is hard to look at ourselves objectively. I really don't think i am fat, honestly, in fact my abs look great and hard. But I carry all my weight in my lower half and objectively there is fat to lose. And cellulite, which I realize doesn't go away but it is there. And not a small amount. I really would rather look banging and toned rather than slender, but to get there it seems I need to gain fat along with muscle and I just don't love hat idea. I appreciate the concern but I am really and truly emotionally and mentally fine. Frustrated but fine.
  • jerb00
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In the end you have to pick your battle. I am not a patient person either, so I chose to bulk and cut. For me there was just not enough muscle or fat for me to recomp successfully to reach my goals. However bulking is mentally and physically difficult so I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't ready for it. Recomp, where you can add muscle and lose fat (over a longer period of time) is great if you are happy with your weight but not your composition. However practicing patience will be key as well as being consistent with your eating and programming. I would also recommend you start taking progress photos.. there will be small changes over time that may not be visible to you everyday.

Thanks for the feedback. Really. I'll make sure my logging in on point and settle I. For a lon recomp. Not super thrilled about the patience thing but at least it is a plan.