Can't Lose Weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Don't change too much at once. My thought is give yourself more calories - maybe 1500 - and keep exercising but don't eat any of the calories back unless you are really starving or have a special occasion.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    pwedge68 wrote: »
    Maybe I am not measuring accurately. I do have a scale, measuring cups and spoons. I will make sure to measure everything that goes into my mouth. I almost don't want to eat out because your never sure what the chefs are putting in their food. I will say I don't enjoy eating something and I can't measure it especially when it comes to sauces.

The awesome thing about using a food scale is that ironically it makes you better at eyeballing. I've been logging for a couple of years, and was kind of horrified by how off my perception of "half a cup" or that sort of thing was. But now it's kind of a game, I pour out what I think is a serving and then weigh it, and I do much better LOL. After you get some practice, it's a lot easier to look at the plate of food you get in a restaurant and guess how much of each item you have. It's also a good idea to log a tablespoon of oil whenever you eat out, as they use more oil or butter than you would think.

Practice makes perfect, and you CAN get to the point where you can go to a restaurant or someone else's house and not stress out. Besides, one meal doesn't make you gain weight, it's what you do most of the time. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    firead wrote: »
    ...Also, if you're estimating restaurant meals, they can be much higher in fat & calories than a homemade version would be - most restaurants add a lot of butter, oil, and other fats in the cooking process.

Not only that, but I've found that they often serve up larger portions than what's listed on their website. For example, I go to this one Chipotle that dishes out huge servings. Great for me, since I purposely eat there on my long trail running days when I need the extra calories and protein! But I log it as 1.5 servings of whatever I'm getting, not 1 serving, since they're dishing up way more than a serving...(That amounts to hundreds of extra calories each time, so if you eat out a lot, your diary probably isn't as accurate as you think.)