Bulk/Cut vs. Increase Calories on Lifting Days

Options
I lost 100lbs last year without being very smart about such things, so I ended up very "skinny-fat". What does everyone think about lifting three days a week and increasing calories those three days (as opposed to long bulk and cut cycles)? Honestly, bulking freaks me out because I can really see myself picking up old habits.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Or just eat the same every day - unlikely to make the slightest bit of difference to your results.
  • seanoxmix
    seanoxmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok.. but will I see results without bulk and cut cycles?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about bulking unintentionally, eating more on lifting days could be a good way to control your calories. If you eat at maintenance or slightly above, and lift heavy, you may be able to do a nice slow re-comp and get the more muscular body you're going for. I've gone from about 26%-18% body fat over 2 years and weigh the same while looking and feeling quite different. check out the recomp thread!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    seanoxmix wrote: »
    Ok.. but will I see results without bulk and cut cycles?

Yes - if you train effectively.
    Your training is where it all starts, a "perfect" diet and a rubbish training programme isn't going to get you anywhere.
  • Samoan_Warrior
    Samoan_Warrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, slow and steady is the best formula...whether shredding or bulking. Be confident about your goals, know your target macros and support it with good quality calories, have a good training plan/ use proper form, then execute, execute, execute... at the end of the day, you have to experiment and figure out what works best for you.