Skin issues after eating better?

Options
I assume that this is just part of the process, so I'm just interested to see if anyone else is having the same struggle I am!

About a week after switching up my diet and making better, healthier choices, as well as increasing my water intake, I noticed that my skin has gone INSANE! Way more breakouts than usual (and it's not PMS stuff as I haven't had a period in going on 3 years now, thanks Depo!).

I'm curious to see who else experienced the same thing and how long it took to clear up for you?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How did you change your diet? Did you change your macros?
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How did you change your diet? Did you change your macros?

The biggest change to my diet really has been no fast food. I would say that on a whole I'm consuming a lot less fat. I logged my meals about a week before I was planning to "make the big change" and I was eating double my daily goal (in the fat department).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to add any exercise at the same time? That can trigger breakouts (sweating, wiping your face, etc.) I've had nothing but good things happen to my skin since quitting soda and replacing it with water. As with anything though, YMMV. Hopefully it clears up soon! Skin issues are no fun.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Did you happen to add any exercise at the same time? That can trigger breakouts (sweating, wiping your face, etc.) I've had nothing but good things happen to my skin since quitting soda and replacing it with water. As with anything though, YMMV. Hopefully it clears up soon! Skin issues are no fun.

Thanks for your input! I have been adding some exercise, although I hit the shower immediately after and exfoliate and all that fun stuff, although that may not be enough! I guess we'll see where I'm at in a week or so. I heard of a lot of folks who have severe breakouts when cutting a lot of sugar/carbs out of their diets so I was wondering if maybe this was a similar issue! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much fat grams a day are you eating now?
  • ConquerAndBloom
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    How much fat grams a day are you eating now?

Anywhere between 40-70 grams, depends on activity level for the day among other factors. Versus what I WAS eating before which was 120+ grams. Yikes!

• kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Before you work out, wipe your face with a facial cleansing wipe (keep a pack in your gym bag or something). If your face is feeling a bit greasy or tired, it helps with breakouts by cleaning it before you sweat. If you have breakouts on your body, that most likely will be from sweating more than usual despite showering right after (should go away after a few weeks). I would also suggest drinking water (if you're not drinking enough)
  • ConquerAndBloom
    Options
    kayeroze wrote: »
    Before you work out, wipe your face with a facial cleansing wipe (keep a pack in your gym bag or something). If your face is feeling a bit greasy or tired, it helps with breakouts by cleaning it before you sweat. If you have breakouts on your body, that most likely will be from sweating more than usual despite showering right after (should go away after a few weeks). I would also suggest drinking water (if you're not drinking enough)

This is helpful, thanks! I'll try and bump up my water a little more (didn't want to to too much, too soon) but I'll also try using a facial wipe before working out in addition to washing after. Thank you! :)

• jayeason
    jayeason Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Acne can sometimes get worse before getting better...try drinking a gallon of water a day...it will help remove a lot of the toxins throughout the body.

I've had less breaks out by drinking a gallon of water 6 days out the week and cutting out dairy products (my downfall).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EUGP9I2/ref=pd_aw_sim_79_1/138-6323673-7862047?ie=UTF8&refRID=X8KVR9VF540EZHA321MZ&dpPl=1&dpID=41rAF8OJAUL
  • adamvikings4life
    adamvikings4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    40-70 is High for fat intake per day. I know its probably better then before but that's High. Just my opinion but you should be eating half that per day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    40-70 is High for fat intake per day. I know its probably better then before but that's High. Just my opinion but you should be eating half that per day.

That's not high at all. I make sure and get a minimum 50g of fat a day. Fat is a very important macro.

• adamvikings4life
    adamvikings4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    40-70 is High for fat intake per day. I know its probably better then before but that's High. Just my opinion but you should be eating half that per day. And yes Water, Water, Water
  • ConquerAndBloom
    Options

That's not high at all. I make sure and get a minimum 50g of fat a day. Fat is a very important macro.

This right here. I'm actually right where I should be based on my activity level and caloric intake. I'm keeping an eye on macros but my priority right now is calories. I'll echo what Christine said, fat is an important macro.

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are you regular?
    Did you start eating a food rich in iodine? (this has caused me breakouts in the past)
    Has your sleep schedule changed?
    There's a lot of factors to consider when dealing with breakouts. It's only been a week though so see if it passes... stressing will only cause more breakouts. :#

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It could be a reaction to a new food. Go back over what you've added to or increased in your diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You can keep that opinion to yourself!

I also have minimum 50g a day. Fat doesn't make you fat, and your body needs it to function properly
  • ConquerAndBloom
    Options
    Are you regular?
    Did you start eating a food rich in iodine? (this has caused me breakouts in the past)
    Has your sleep schedule changed?
    There's a lot of factors to consider when dealing with breakouts. It's only been a week though so see if it passes... stressing will only cause more breakouts. :#
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It could be a reaction to a new food. Go back over what you've added to or increased in your diet.

Great points! I've been eating more fish than usual (not a ton, but I wasn't eating a ton before) and more cheese than usual. I hope these aren't the culprits but I guess it's experimentation time!

• haleyawes
    haleyawes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It might just be your body detoxing! I breakout whenever I get back into my routine after I fall off the wagon for a bit, but my skin usually clears up in about 2-2 1/2 weeks? Just try to wash your face twice a day and keep your hands off and you should be good! Hope it clears up soon!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you go through a big change, your skin reacts. Give things another couple of weeks. Good luck.