Strength training confusion

Options
I really want to start strength training.. I read a couple ideas on what to do on here .. Just still not quite sure .. Right now I have 8 lb weights at home and I do 3 sets of 8 of shoulder presses.. bent over rows .. squats and chest presses .. Do you think that is good to start? Also I read about StrongLifts.. If I just buy the 45 lb bar do I have to keep adding 5 lbs ? Or can I use the bar for awhile ? Seems like strength training gives you great results, I just want to do it right .

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The idea with strength training is progression.

So once you can do 3 sets of 8 using 8lb dumbbells - how are you going to improve from there?

You can max out 8lb dumbbells pretty fast - and then you're going to have to find heavier weights.

Same with Stronglifts and using just the bar. In fact, one of the movements (the Deadlift) requires you to start off with some weight to get the right form. It is hard to do a deadlift with an empty bar using correct form.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing some research on a program like Stronglifts and to follow their recommendations. Start slow, progressively add weight, build strength and work on your form. Get a personal trainer if you can avoid it to ensure you start out with good form. If not, there are several good workout gurus on the YouTubes that can give you tips on how to properly do each routine. Alan Thrall and Jeff Cavaliere at Athlean-X are both very good IMO.
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to buy heavier weights also . Right now 8 lb is all I have .
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you can OHP 8 lbs then you should be able squat much more than that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Strength training uses different resistances for muscles being used. While curling with 16lbs might be tough for someone new, doing a squat or deadlift with it would be downright pretty easy.
    Strength training is also progressive, so when one can do a weight for a set given exercises for a given amount of reps quite easily, then the resistance should be increased. That is how strength is increased.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, I never did squats with the bar or dumb bell ..
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sl was a great programme for me when i was in the same gateway that you're in right now. but yeah, it's what others have said: the idea is that your body adapts to what you give it to do, so then you give it a bit more to do. and so forth. formats like sl just kind of try to organize all that for you, so you don't have to worry about it until you're a little more experienced about the whole thing.

i'll throw in that lifting with a barbell is pretty different in some ways from using dumbbells. most people find they can manage more weight with the bar, for various reasons that i'd be making up as i go if i tried to tell you, because i don't have a lot of dumbbell experience myself.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Adding sets, adding reps, or adding weight are all forms of progression.