I'm running out of Macros but have calories left.

Options
Canada112
Canada112 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Today I'm over 10 gr. on my protein but I still have 246 calories left. I've been noticing this happening regularly. Sometimes I hit my carbs and protein for the day but still have calories left over. My weight loss has been going really well, hopefully I've been eating enough. Should I continue to consume the calories even though I'll go over on my macro's? I'm on 1200 calorie's a day.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you're still under calories but over in all your macros, then something is off.

However, macros don't matter as much to weight loss than calories do. Calorie deficit to lose weight, macros for nutrition.

Going over 10g of protein isn't a big deal, especially if you use the MFP default which is quite low anyways.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. And going over your protein is fine...many people look at the goal MFP gives them as a minimum.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Canada112 wrote: »
    Today I'm over 10 gr. on my protein but I still have 246 calories left. I've been noticing this happening regularly. Sometimes I hit my carbs and protein for the day but still have calories left over. My weight loss has been going really well, hopefully I've been eating enough. Should I continue to consume the calories even though I'll go over on my macro's? I'm on 1200 calorie's a day.

1. It's okay to go over on any of your macros as long as you feel okay and don't have any special medical needs.

2. If you're over on both carbs & protein then you must be under on fats (as long as you're using correct entries). If you want to hit your macro goals, then add in more fat sources. More oils, nuts, cheese, whole milk, less lean meats, avocado, etc.
  • Canada112
    Canada112 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm using the MFP default. I didn't realize it was low. Thanks for your help
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    A high likelihood is a database entry with incorrect or non exact macros. Often (protein + carb) * 4 + fats * 9 do not equal total calories for many entries.

In some cases this is "justified" and a question of "interpreting" how to count fiber grams.

In other situations it is just egregiously incorrect entries.

Over the past few years I've had a good ~5%+ non match between macro calories and official calories.

It did not prevent weight loss :wink:

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Macros are just another way of breaking down calories. You can't hit one and be off on the other unless something is wrong in how the macros were figured. If you're high on protein, then you must be low on something else.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have said - alcohol. If you've consumed alcohol, it will add to your calorie total but not show up in macro totals (alcohol is a distinct macro, but not tracked by MFP).

Most common reasons for macro / calorie inconsistencies: (1) bad database entries; (2) alcohol; and (3) rounding errors.