New tattoos and working out

Options
Hey all,
Super stoked to finally be getting my tattoo finished up Thursday (just the shading, really), but I'm wondering how much time I should take off from working out.

Since they're on my back and decently sized, I'm concerned about getting sweaty and my shirt/sports bra rubbing against my back and damaging the ink.

Thoughts? How long do you guys wait after getting tattooed?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would wait until the tattoo has finished most of the peeling.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That's what I figured...was just hoping I wouldn't have to wait a week lol.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I typically workout the next day. I have several tattoos and some large back pieces, and never had any problems or loss of quality. I bandage well and/or wear a shirt under my sports bra for ink preservation/protection, and run as usual.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I got two tattoos in the past 3 months. I train for powerlifting but I don't sweat. I scheduled the first one on my back for before meet prep and worked around it. I couldn't really squat or bench but I did front squats and deadlifted.

I just got one on my shoulder and could pretty much do everything I needed. But again, I don't sweat. If my workouts got me really sweaty I'd at least wait until after the 3rd day of aquaphor
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 Yeah, I do alot of cardio and I tend to sweat buckets lol. Weightlifting doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal after a day or 2 though.

@MichSmish I thought to do tank top, loose sports bra, t shirt. Guess all I can do is play it by ear (eye?) And see how the healing goes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 Yeah, I do alot of cardio and I tend to sweat buckets lol. Weightlifting doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal after a day or 2 though.

@MichSmish I thought to do tank top, loose sports bra, t shirt. Guess all I can do is play it by ear (eye?) And see how the healing goes.

Yeah but I kept my cool with the back tat. I didn't want a 200 lb loaded barbell across it for at least a week