Exercise Severe Knee Arthritis

Options
Hi Everyone,

I will be 60 this year and for the last five years arthritis in my knee is getting progressively worse. I have had to give up riding my horse even with strong pain relief. I find the pain exhausting. However, I still manage to muck out and look after two horses daily even though I have to sit down from time to time. I have lost 21 pounds since February and now I have an imperative (seeing a surgeon on 20th April). Arthritis is so variable and if the pain is on the lower end of the scale I try and fit in a short walk. My muscle tone given my BMI is very good after years in the saddle. I wonder if anyone can advise of exercises I could do. Cycling and Swimming are not options unfortunately as I live too far away from the nearest city where there is a pool. The weight loss is going fine and I have developed a plan I can live with (plus the thought of losing my mobility is the greatest incentive). I gained 5 stone after stopping riding combined with depression and personal issues, although the last time I was really slim was in my twenties. Very low income so gym not possible either. I use one of the horses to do leg lifts etc holding onto them (bless them!) and try and dance when I can. Advice would be appreciated and Good Luck to you all in your various quests.

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I did horseback riding for 10 years and have some arthritis in my knees from years in the saddle at age 22. I'm sure someone else will come in with amazing exercises (I would recommend pilates- look up equilates, too!), but I wanted to share another idea?

I know you have a low income right now, but if things change in the future, have you thought of a gaited horse? My grandma had really severe arthritis and wasn't able to ride my quarter horse because of it, so one day she just came back with a Peruvian Paso. They're bred to be such a smooth ride that you can drink coffee in a mug without spilling a drop. I was really impressed when I tested this and found it to be true. If not being able to ride is something that's contributing to your depression (I know it still gets to me now that I don't have a horse anymore), it's something to look into. It really made my grandma happy.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What about a cheap eliptical? They're supposed to be super easy on the joints. My suggestion was going to be aqua fit, but seeing youre too far away from the pool doesn't work.
  • radleyz
    radleyz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I am in Europe so we do not have gaited horses here but I am determined to get back into the saddle at some stage. Equilates looks worth checking out.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have had arthritis in my left knee for several years. Cycling and swimming, coupled with losing weight, has done wonders to alleviate any pain. I literally have no pain at all now. The downside/upside is I must remain active to keep getting the "no-pain" benefit.

To give you an example of how much it has helped, I recently started running (still no pain) - but I am not trying to break any records...just want to run a 5k fast enough to get a respectable time in this summers local Mini-Triathlon (1/2 mile swim, 15 miles cycling, 5k).
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would keep a look out for used stationary bikes or ellipticals. You can sometimes get them pretty cheap. Another option would be aerobics type videos that are low impact/ no impact. Walking when you can tolerate it. Even walking in place would be good. You can put on some music, a tv show, a movie, etc... and just walk in place.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    +1 on the elliptical,

Also, see a PT if you can, otherwise, something like the book "bulletproof my knee"