Intermittent Fasting advice

Options
2»

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It worked for me to satisfy my binge cravings, simply because I got to eat larger meals. On top of that, intermittent fasting taught me to eat only when I'm hungry.

But that's about all it does. It's just another strategy like every other diet out there.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The reason it works for me is that it allows me to really eat BIG meals and not think about food all the time. I don't know if it contributes to weight loss but it does help me with cravings. I have lost more weight since I started, but to be fair, I'm also eating less. So idk what came first.. the chicken or the egg
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn fat any faster, but as others have said it provides an easy way to have an overall calorie deficit and not feel like you are depriving yourself of foods you like (to some degree), for extended periods of time. The key is when you do eat(Feed days), do not feel like you have to make up for the missed meals and overeat or you will not accomplish anything.
  • seinfan9
    seinfan9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's why IF is a useful tool (by no means a magic bullet).

1. Your body spends less time dealing with elevated insulin. This is a hormone that makes fat loss very difficult.
    2. Your body produces more HGH in a fasted state to help maintain muscle. This is a key evolutionary trait. If the body used both fat and muscle equally in a fasted state, our ancestors would have died off very quickly since the local supermarket wasn't a thing.
    3. Your appetite naturally shrinks. The body "learns" that food isn't always available. Therefore the chemicals that signal hunger and satiety are altered to compensate.

Some of the people here saying IF doesn't work are the same fools saying they skip breakfast. What do you think breakfast means? Break fast. You are continuing your fast when you skip it.
  • seinfan9
    seinfan9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Btw, I do a 2hr eating window and get roughly 1500 to 1800 calories in. Some days I'm fine with 1200. It makes calorie deficits way easier to maintain and exercising in a fasted state helps burn the fat even quicker.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    seinfan9 wrote: »
    Btw, I do a 2hr eating window and get roughly 1500 to 1800 calories in. Some days I'm fine with 1200. It makes calorie deficits way easier to maintain and exercising in a fasted state helps burn the fat even quicker.

Nope.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    IF is not a magical solution. I've done IF for at least 5 years, it helps me keep calories in check, but on itself IF doesn't do anything for weight loss if you're not on a deficit.