Battling Ropes

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
I turn 40 this summer, so I've been researching advice for saving joints as a weightlifter gets older. One of the suggestions was to start your workout with the battling ropes, those super-long thick-handled ropes which you attach to something unmoving at one end, then you flick the other end up and down or side to side, either arms together or moving independent. I did this for ten minutes, alternating 20 seconds of motion with 40 seconds of rest.

The good: after I was done and moved to the bench press, my shoulders felt completely loose and relaxed, not stiff as they have been the last few months when I lie down for my first set of bench warm ups.

The bad: wow was I gassed! I mean, that's a good thing yes, but it sure impacted how heavy I could lift the rest of my workout.

I used to scoff at the idea of the ropes, figuring they were mostly for gym noobs brand new to the fitness game, even though I've heard Drew Brees, NFL quarterback superstar, uses them. But I've been lifting for 8 years now, and I can testify these things are legit! As I get used to them I'll do longer and longer, because I think I'm hooked! FAR preferable to the treadmill, believe you me!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no battle ropes are pretty legit. I use them when I get a chance- they are great whole body/cardio work.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    after I was done and moved to the bench press, my shoulders felt completely loose and relaxed, not stiff as they have been the last few months when I lie down for my first set of bench warm ups.

Yes, warming up the joints prior to lifting helps. I prefer slower, more controlled movements though, like the elliptical or rower machine, or just moving my arms in circles. :+1:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've got a battle rope setup that I use in my back yard.

It's mainly an upper body work out which you can make as tough or easy as you like but it's no substitute for a treadmill.

For lower body work, you need a weighted sled and/or tractor tire, both of which I also have for use in my backyard.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use them as part of a hiit circuit, i like them
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How are you guys storing your ropes? Just picked up one and I'm just trying to find a way to store it that's quick to set up and quick to put away.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love the ropes. When combining them with a weight lifting routine, I usually save them for the end of my shoulder/arms day. Just finishes that day out perfectly... My arms and shoulders are usually spent when I walk out
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not addressing the pros and cons of the ropes, but a warmup that negatively affects your lifting might not be the best warmup. There are a number of shoulder mobility drills that can accomplish the same thing (warm up joints for lifting) with out weakening you for your lifts.

This is one example of many:

http://www.stack.com/a/complete-shoulder-warm-up-for-strength-and-stability