Tracking calories burnt on treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sorry just asking cos i cant work it out

So for walking is it your body weight x a third of your body weight per mile?

For running bodyweight x 0.63 x distance in miles
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Yes
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

2/3 is 0.666... not 0.63.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

2/3 is 0.666... not 0.63.

correct.

the calculation i have seen for running calories burn uses 0.63 as far as i know.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used the formulas from upthread to calculate my walking and running calories last night, and ended up with about 100 fewer calories than the treadmill display told me, and FAR, FAR fewer calories than MFP suggested.

I logged the numbers I calculated.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this formula! I used it, and compared to the treadmill, MFP, and S Health. It's a little lower than what the treadmill gave me, a fair amount lower than what S Health estimated (I thought that would be closer since I'm using a Gear S2 with heart rate), but within a few calories of what MFP estimated. Nice to have a reliable formula to fall back on!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, I'm curious about this. I did 2 runs recently, both of 3K. Both were 5 mins run, 2 mins walk with 3 mins walking at either end for warmup and cooldown. Only difference is one was on the treadmill and one was outside.

Garmin gave me 287 for the outside and 304 for the treadmill.

The formula gives me 267.

What impact does incline have? On the treadmill I'm at 1% incline and outside it is not perfectly level and I see an elevation gain of 6M.

I'm thinking my watch is pretty damn close given the elevation/incline.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What impact does incline have?

20 calories is lost in the noise, your error as a result of the run/ walk approach is probably more than that.

Elevation does have an effect, but 1% on a treadmill is pointless.

6 metres of elevation on a 3K run might give you a single figure increase in expenditure.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

What about activity trackers?

I've been eyeing the Misfit Ray, which says it tracks calories, steps, distance, and sleep. Possibly worthwhile? Useless?

I have a ray and I absolutely love it. It's small and lightweight and doesn't look like a fitness band. I really like the app as well. I got it for fitness but also because my sleeping habits are horrendous and it helps me keep track of that as well.