Any foods that make you feel full for longer?

Options
Hey I'm relatively new to dieting...used to just eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted. Transitioning from that to watching what I eat and counting calories has been a little challenging. I was wondering if there are any foods or eating "techniques" that leave you feeling full for a longer period of time. I tend to over eat and I really want to be able to go to bed at night knowing I didn't go over my daily caloric intake goal of 1,650 calories per day. I'm relatively clueless, so any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm 20, 6'4", and 230 lbs.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Look for snacks containing protein, fat and fibre - these are the most filling.

Filling snacks could include:

Eggs
    Greek yoghurt and fruit
    Apple with peanut butter
    Jerky
    Milk with banana
    Protein bars
  • itsjimmyrider
    Options
    Okay! Thanks for the suggestions...will definitely look for more protein, fat, and fibre!
  • ruthiebaby88
    ruthiebaby88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of the tricks to feeling full is eating smaller meals more often. On my current diet I'm aiming for 5x300 cal meals a day.

This really helps me to avoid binging - when I allow myself to become starving I'll eat anything!

Also it's important to include foods with a balance of fat and protein instead of just carbs. Carbs tend to leave your system quickly so that you get hungry sooner. For example, I'm a bit fruit fan, but I'm learning to combine a fruit snack with some cheese or nuts so that my blood sugar will maintain a more steady level and I won't get hungry right away.

Some recommend drinking a full glass of water - or green tea before meals to prevent overeating.

I've also heard that it helps to use a smaller plate, which makes the serving look larger. They say leaving leftover food in the kitchen, makes people quite a bit less likely to take second helpings - rather than having it out on the table while you are eating.

Sometimes it takes food about 20 minutes to 'hit bottom' so that you feel full. For this reason it's important to savor a meal slowly - if you have someone to eat with take a pause and a couple of breaths and focus on the conversation for a few minutes. When you get back to your plate you might realize you are actually feeling pretty full.

A friend of mine used the trick of always leaving something on her plate. That way she was more likely to stop when she was full since she removed the pressure of having to 'clean her plate.' Sometimes I have to remind myself that the remaining food on my plate will actually do me more good if it goes in the trash can - than if I stuff it down.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars
    Jack links beef sticks (not the mystery meat slim Jim style one, but the flat jerky type)
    Balanced meals with complex carbs
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Btw, how did you come up with that calorie number that you're eating?
    I plugged in your info to the IIFYM calculator and with a MAJOR deficit of 25% and little to no exercise, it has you at 1941cals per day. Your maitenance being about 2600 a day without hysical activity involved, so it looks like you're doinga thousand cal deficit.

It's is No Good man, you should be eating at a 15-20% deficit at the most, meaning BTWN 2000 -2200 per day to lose a pound a week.
  • itsjimmyrider
    Options
    Thanks guys! @longisland27i I just saw on the Internet that 1,650 is a good number. I don't really know what I'm doing at this point, seeing as I just recently started dieting so I really appreciate the information!
  • itsjimmyrider
    Options
    One of the tricks to feeling full is eating smaller meals more often. On my current diet I'm aiming for 5x300 cal meals a day.

This really helps me to avoid binging - when I allow myself to become starving I'll eat anything!

Also it's important to include foods with a balance of fat and protein instead of just carbs. Carbs tend to leave your system quickly so that you get hungry sooner. For example, I'm a bit fruit fan, but I'm learning to combine a fruit snack with some cheese or nuts so that my blood sugar will maintain a more steady level and I won't get hungry right away.

Some recommend drinking a full glass of water - or green tea before meals to prevent overeating.

I've also heard that it helps to use a smaller plate, which makes the serving look larger. They say leaving leftover food in the kitchen, makes people quite a bit less likely to take second helpings - rather than having it out on the table while you are eating.

Sometimes it takes food about 20 minutes to 'hit bottom' so that you feel full. For this reason it's important to savor a meal slowly - if you have someone to eat with take a pause and a couple of breaths and focus on the conversation for a few minutes. When you get back to your plate you might realize you are actually feeling pretty full.

A friend of mine used the trick of always leaving something on her plate. That way she was more likely to stop when she was full since she removed the pressure of having to 'clean her plate.' Sometimes I have to remind myself that the remaining food on my plate will actually do me more good if it goes in the trash can - than if I stuff it down.

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely be implementing them into my daily routine!
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds made into a gel, because they swell and keep you fuller for longer. Among other benefits chia is a complete protein, also see here http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/2012/08/13-awesome-reasons-to-eat-chia-seeds-every-day/.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    cheesecake
  • itsjimmyrider
    Options
    Chia seeds made into a gel, because they swell and keep you fuller for longer. Among other benefits chia is a complete protein, also see here http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/2012/08/13-awesome-reasons-to-eat-chia-seeds-every-day/.

Great link! Now I'm going to have to make a trip to the market!!!
  • thirtyfine
    thirtyfine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try seaweed. I like it on a bed of lettuce and with a vinaigrette or sesame dressing. It def created a sense of fullness for me/ I believe it also expands in stomach.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm relatively new to dieting...used to just eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted. Transitioning from that to watching what I eat and counting calories has been a little challenging. I was wondering if there are any foods or eating "techniques" that leave you feeling full for a longer period of time. I tend to over eat and I really want to be able to go to bed at night knowing I didn't go over my daily caloric intake goal of 1,650 calories per day. I'm relatively clueless, so any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm 20, 6'4", and 230 lbs.

I have found that any foods with lots of protein in, are nice and filling.

Eggs, chicken, quorn, baked beans etc
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    welcome - a lot of this is trial and error so what works for this 52 YO woman may not work for you, but here are things that do work for me:
    *bananas are very filling - i have half a banana every morning before the gym. if it fits in with your eating scheme, just peel and freeze a bunch, then you can blend them with other fruit or milk for a smoothie (just remember to weigh them first).
    *oats are great - I actually used to have these every morning for breakfast but stopped... i may have to go back to them. I mix rolled oats and instant oats and bran and/or ground almonds in a container, then portion out three tablespoons per serving, mix with yogurt, milk, juice or water (I don't even bother cooking, just mix and let it sit for a few minutes). you can add a few raisins, craisins or other fruit.
    *sandwiches - that you make yourself, using whole grain bread and good fillings
    *If you like to cook or are willing to learn - cook up batches of chicken /turkey breast , portion out and freeze. this way you always have something healthy ready. i do the same with chicken burgers, turkey burgers, veggie burgers... you get the picture.
    *homemade hummus - healthy and very filling. actually all beans are filing.

whatever you are eating - round out your meals with fresh veggies