Can someone help with Fitbit question?

Kidvicious28
Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I went for a run yesterday and wore my Fitbit. My Fitbit says that I did 4,431 steps and burned approximately 888 calories during my run....BUT when it synced up to MFP, my steps came over correctly, but it says I earned 30 exercise calories attached gat point, which was about an hour or two after I ran.
Someone told me that it will eventually sync all the calories I burned and put them on MFP at the end of the day. So, I waited and looked today to see if it transferred them over...annnnd it only transferred about 425 calories burned.

Can someone please explain this to me? It's either not working right or I'm just not understanding properly.

My diary is viewable.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    The Fitbit calorie adjustment is not specifically for your run, but an adjustment for all day calories.

Without a tracker, MFP uses your stated activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) to estimate your total daily calories. Not counting exercise, of course. Fitbit estimates your total daily calories based on your actual movement. So when you sync them, you get an adjustment if your actual calories are higher than what MFP expected.

Example: lets say MFP assumes my activity level, stats will burn 1760 per day. Yesterday, Fitbit says I burned 2055. Which of course is more than what MFP was expecting. So I ended the day with a +295 adjustment.

My Fitbit is the Charge 2 HR which auto recognizes exercise. So my Fitbit activity (yesterday) shows a 31 minute walk @ 8:16pm for 185 calories and a 33 minute walk @ 12:27pm for 150 calories. Those details do not get itemized at MFP. If I want them to show at MFP I could manually log them, but personally its fine with me to let Fitbit track.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    The Fitbit calorie adjustment is not specifically for your run, but an adjustment for all day calories.

Without a tracker, MFP uses your stated activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) to estimate your total daily calories. Not counting exercise, of course. Fitbit estimates your total daily calories based on your actual movement. So when you sync them, you get an adjustment if your actual calories are higher than what MFP expected.

Example: lets say MFP assumes my activity level, stats will burn 1760 per day. Yesterday, Fitbit says I burned 2055. Which of course is more than what MFP was expecting. So I ended the day with a +295 adjustment.

My Fitbit is the Charge 2 HR which auto recognizes exercise. So my Fitbit activity (yesterday) shows a 31 minute walk @ 8:16pm for 185 calories and a 33 minute walk @ 12:27pm for 150 calories. Those details do not get itemized at MFP. If I want them to show at MFP I could manually log them, but personally its fine with me to let Fitbit track.

Ok! Now I understand. Thank you so much for explaining it to me :)