Do you drink protein shakes if you're getting enough protein from food?

I use to drink them after working out however I hate the taste. I am always hitting my protein goal because I love meat. My friend keeps trying to make me drink a shake she sells. I don't like drinking or eating calories I don't enjoy.

Replies

• New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    If u can eat them n meet ur goal then hell yes real food for the win!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Why would you? I don't have time for calories I don't like....
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    What for?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Nope, I keep some on hand in case I happen to have a lower protein day. If that happens I'll just mix however many grams I am short with water and drink it before bed.

Cheers, h.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    No.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    No.. drinking calories I hate the taste of makes no sense to me.

..i do however keep protein on hand in case I fall short, I am relaxed on calorie choices on the weekends and usually need to supplement.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    No. I eat chocolate bars if I have room and discretionary cals
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    No. The body doesn't get extra credit for consuming more protein. Plus homemade ones taste better as you control the ingredients. Your friend is trying to sell her merchandise, and you're the targeted consumer. Just say no. :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    In your case there is no point. If you feel you need a post-workout have some nuts or a protein bar you enjoy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I don't, but I've come to like the taste of the protein shake I have. Stick a banana, some ice, some water and a scoop of the powder in a blender and I've got a chocolate banana milkshake. I suspect when the frikken weather warms up, I'll be doing this fairly often, even if I've hit my goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you hit your protein goal, there is no need for them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If I enjoyed them as a snack or part of a meal I would. I like the powder I have so include it in oats (if not doing savory oats) or a smoothie (both of which I have occasionally, not all that often), but it would be easy enough to get the protein from some other source. If I disliked protein shakes I certainly would not drink them, especially if they didn't taste good to me -- can't understand why anyone would.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Protein shakes are a supplement to help you hit your targets...if you're otherwise hitting your targets with food then you're just wasting money...
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    I only have an Optimum Nutrition shake when I'm super busy...other than that I get my macros from Whole Foods.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I would get a new friend. Real friends don't hustle their friends.

^^^This.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    That's not much of a friend.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    No, your friend just wants your cash.
  • erinlane93
    erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
    If I can get my protein for the day from food I don't have shakes. Protein shakes are a good quick fix to get your protein up when you don't have time for a meal. Always concentrate from getting your protein from food, if not shakes are fine to get to your grams for the day :)