All sorts of noodles

Options
daneejela
daneejela Posts: 461 Member
I think noodles are pretty versatile food that fit into a lot of healthy meals, salads, wraps...

Recently I've learned to create my own noodles. Until yesterday I thought that there are only noodles made from wheat floor.
Yesterday I've discovered that there are many different noodles made from rice, made from buckwheat (soba noodles), potato starch, even from acorn!... almost every country has it's own noodle tradition.

Does your country have it's special noodles?
Have you ever tried making one?
What kind of noodles are your favorite?
Where do you use it?

Replies

• LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the southwestern part of Germany, and "Spaetzle" (egg noodles) are a big thing there. Love them with gravy, love them baked!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I learned at a young age that all noodles are, are flour (any type really) and eggs. IIRC the ratio is something like 2 eggs to 3 cups flour, but that's going off memory.

I wonder how fat based flours would hold up? (flax/almond/coconut). Off too google!
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to make egg-based (1 egg to 1 cup of flour, plus a little water or oil) and water-based (add water to flour well until you get the right consistency) wheat flour noodles on the regular until I realized that grains and legumes were making my digestive system miserable. Now I am trying to make noodles from alternative flours (mainly almond) but have yet to find the right recipe.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think all noodles have come from other countries originally to the USA.
    My family likes egg noodles. I remember my mom and grandma with noodles spread over the counter.
    They always used wheat flour. The dishes they usually made with these noodles were chicken and noodles or beef and noodles. Kind of boiled chunks of meat and then noodles were tossed in. There would have been a thin sauce I guess. Pretty basic.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    If anyone has a solid recipe for flax/almond/coconut noodles please post! I read adding some xanathm gum helps. Does anyone know if you can buy xanathen gum at the regular supermarket?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    After a whole bunch of googling...

Sounds like the best "alternative flour" for making pasta is soy. Others like almond and coconut don't hold together as well unless you start experimenting with thickening agents (most recipes for almond/flax/whatever are part fat flour, part normal flour).

I also found the following page, which as weird as it is, provides a CREAM CHEESE NOODLE. 2 eggs for each oz of cream cheese. I might try this non fat cream cheese if I'm feeling sciencey.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-make-homemade-low-carb-pasta/

I'm all stoked up about pasta now lol B)
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just make a basic egg noodle except I flavor it with ginger powder or like a drop of sesame oil and add it to yummy stirfrys it is amazing. Also mung bean noodles (glass noodles/cellophane noodles) can cook them in a minute and they are so versatile. If I could I would live off soup and noodles but the salt would be crazy so moderation is key.:)
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just remembered in summers just using a veggie peeler and a giant zucchini from the garden just slice it into wide ribbons of noodles, use the mushy center part and add it to a veggie sauce/stirfry and put said sauce or a stirfry with peanut butter Thai style sauce on top and yummy. So the basic egg noodles, and alternative varieties with include rice noodles (works in a number of indian desserts), mung bean noodles, bicarbonate based noodles in parts of asia, buckwheat (soba) noodles and finally the italian varieties, and vegetables disguised to be noodles too. :)
  • daneejela
    Options

I'm all stoked up about pasta now lol B)

Lol, just like me last two days, and I don't even like to cook :-D
  • julesk888
    julesk888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't make my own pasta, but one of my favorites is bucatini with red sauce
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I pinned this the other week when I was searching for oat fiber recipes. It was apparently developed by the author for people on a keto diet to have something besides zoodles and shirataki noodles, but it would be super low calorie as well, with only an egg, some glucomannan and oat fiber (which has zero calories). http://shecallsmehobbit.com/2016/06/what-if-i-told-you-we-could-have-pasta-that-doesnt-smell-or-suck/
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm a big "zoodle" fan. So simple, I bought a peeler that turns it into spaghetti like strips. And then I can eat a huge bowl, or two, in a veggie loaded sauce. So good and filling. I have made pasta, ravioli is my fav, with a lobster filling, yum.
  • daneejela
    Options
    I like zucchini noodles, too, and I love carrot noodles also.
    Carrot noodles that are just a bit steamed, dressed with a bit of lemon and sesame oil are so delicious.

Today I made green noodles with mix of wheat flour and nettle puree (boiled then blended nettle), they look awesome. Good thing is that I haven't ate them yet :D

I've tried to make some rice noodles, but that attempt failed completely.