will I gain lose or maintain eating this much?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So I find I'm extra hungry on some days. I walked for about two hrs yesterday and idk if weight matters but with about 30-40lbs on my back. I am 5'4" 190ish lbs. I was really hungry for some reason and ate 2000 calories. Am I likely to gain weight or still in the safe area as far as losing or maintaining? I don't do this everyday. My goal is 1200-1500 usually. But I want to know if it will significantly impact my losses. I've lost successfully before but never eaten that much while trying. Just curious on opinions. I have been walking 4-8 extra miles per day the last few week days. My daily steps average around 10000 (weekends being lower weekdays anywhere 13000-25000).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2000 cals is unlikely to be above your maintenance given your stats.
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    2000 cals is unlikely to be above your maintenance given your stats.

I'll take that ok thank you! I've lost 35lbs or so this time and have list before but again not usually eating so much. The most I had as a goal was 1700 before while exercising a lot
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Considering how much you're walking, those 1700 actually sound pretty appropriate, especially if you're suffering above average hunger.

You could try slowly raising your calories until you hit that sweet spot where you're losing without suffering undue hunger. You need to fuel that body of yours to keep up with those rascals at home :wink:
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I see your diary Verity, I agree that with all that walking you should probably up your calories to a good 1500 on a regular basis. If you're really hungry, it's because you aren't getting enough yummy food in your body. Some hunger is pretty normal (we are losing weight, after all) but it should be minimal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you did your challenge, how many calories where you averaging and how much did you lose again?
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Considering how much you're walking, those 1700 actually sound pretty appropriate, especially if you're suffering above average hunger.

You could try slowly raising your calories until you hit that sweet spot where you're losing without suffering undue hunger. You need to fuel that body of yours to keep up with those rascals at home :wink:

I eat 1200-1500 lol 1700 was a longggg time ago when I was exercising hard burning 600-1000 calories per day I ate 1700-1900 per day or RARELY up to 2100 (on days when I burned 900 or more). God what I really need is SLEEP lol for the "rascals". They're ALL sick right now!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I see your diary Verity, I agree that with all that walking you should probably up your calories to a good 1500 on a regular basis. If you're really hungry, it's because you aren't getting enough yummy food in your body. Some hunger is pretty normal (we are losing weight, after all) but it should be minimal.

I leave out my veggies in my diary sometimes FYI lol yesterday I didnt but I might have an extra 100 calories on some days. But I do usually eat more around 1300 to be honest. Im not too hungry today but yesterday I was super hungry! probably like you said all the walking. I mean I don't starve myself obviously...because I ate 2000cal which is why the question. I just want to not worry about it after. Im glad you guys think it most likely wont affect me because Im really trying to lose weight fairly quickly and I still have 60lbs to lose.
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2017
    Options

psuLemon wrote: »
    When you did your challenge, how many calories where you averaging and how much did you lose again?

The weight loss challenge? IDK. 1200 ? I had a week where I ate a ton though. I ate out for an entire week out of the 6 weeks. The last week I only ate fresh veggies, fruit and a little cheese...Oh and eggs! No soda, no juice only water. I lost 5 lbs in 4 days doing that. Im sure a lot was water but it didnt come back and total 21lbs in 6 weeks. I only exercised 16 days out of those 6 weeks. I did Zumba for an hr a day...I wonder if I carry excess water? because none of that weight came back but the calories dont really add up.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Oh and I did eat back my Zumba calories sometimes. My NET was 1200calories per day.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

The weight loss challenge? IDK. 1200 ? I had a week where I ate a ton though. I ate out for an entire week out of the 6 weeks. The last week I only ate fresh veggies, fruit and a little cheese...Oh and eggs! No soda, no juice only water. I lost 5 lbs in 4 days doing that. Im sure a lot was water but it didnt come back and total 21lbs in 6 weeks. I only exercised 16 days out of those 6 weeks. I did Zumba for an hr a day...I wonder if I carry excess water? because none of that weight came back but the calories dont really add up.

Even if we took a conservative estimate, your maintenance then was around 2500-2700. So 2k would still keep you in a deficit. If you reduced exercise a bit, it could be a little lower.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Even if we took a conservative estimate, your maintenance then was around 2500-2700. So 2k would still keep you in a deficit. If you reduced exercise a bit, it could be a little lower.

I was 220? or so at the time though. So I assume it went down a tiny bit. My Fitbit estimates 2500 on most days and one day even 4000 (I walked about 12+ miles worth of steps) but people say they're off for some and work for others so I'm scared to trust it? But I guess what you said makes sense. I did get rid of Zumba but now Im walking a lot so it might add up or be similar.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was 220? or so at the time though. So I assume it went down a tiny bit. My Fitbit estimates 2500 on most days and one day even 4000 (I walked about 12+ miles worth of steps) but people say they're off for some and work for others so I'm scared to trust it? But I guess what you said makes sense. I did get rid of Zumba but now Im walking a lot so it might add up or be similar.

They can be off. And yes your TDEE would generally decrease with a 30lb weight loss, but that only occurs if you aren't compensating with additional exercise or spontaneous changes in NEAT activities.

ETA: My TDEE has always been around 3000 calories, regardless if I was 220 or 173 (current).
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Average your calories for the week, if they are still under your TDEE then you will not gain

Person A and B both have a TDEE of 2000 calories per day

Person A eats 1500 calories every day creating a weekly deficit of 3500 calories and loses a pound a week

Person B eats 1300 calories per day Monday through Friday and 2000 calories a day Saturday and Sunday still equaling a 3500 calorie deficit and also losing a pound a week.

It's more about the long term deficit than daily. That is why you can have a high calorie day and still stay within your goals. Check out zig-zag diet. You have very low calorie days and higher calorie days but focus on the weekly calorie goal

Highly unlikely you would gain weight with your given stats at 2000 calories especially with your calorie deficit the rest of the week
  • Verity1111
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    Average your calories for the week, if they are still under your TDEE then you will not gain

Person A and B both have a TDEE of 2000 calories per day

Person A eats 1500 calories every day creating a weekly deficit of 3500 calories and loses a pound a week

Person B eats 1300 calories per day Monday through Friday and 2000 calories a day Saturday and Sunday still equaling a 3500 calorie deficit and also losing a pound a week.

It's more about the long term deficit than daily. That is why you can have a high calorie day and still stay within your goals. Check out zig-zag diet. You have very low calorie days and higher calorie days but focus on the weekly calorie goal

Highly unlikely you would gain weight with your given stats at 2000 calories especially with your calorie deficit the rest of the week

I didnt mean gain for the week. I understand all that and I used to zig zag. Im just wondering if 2000 is likely over or under my TDEE. Im not quite sure but I guess I will assume it isnt based on responses.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if you gain, lose or maintain. That's really the only way to find out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Key word is significant.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Key word is significant.

To me almost anything is significant lol. 1/2 a lb is significant.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Key word is significant.

Don't look at your feet, look at the horizon. This time next year it won't be in the slightest bit significant.....

Tip for you - have a skim through the maintaining weight forum. Very common for those people who don't enjoy maintenance at goal weight and find it very stressful are those that attempt to micro-manage their weight and get their knickers in a twist over tiny fluctuations and special events like holidays.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Key word is significant.

Don't look at your feet, look at the horizon. This time next year it won't be in the slightest bit significant.....

Tip for you - have a skim through the maintaining weight forum. Very common for those people who don't enjoy maintenance at goal weight and find it very stressful are those that attempt to micro-manage their weight and get their knickers in a twist over tiny fluctuations and special events like holidays.

I have a history of ED years ago though so for me this is a big improvement. I want to stay on the healthy track and I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder as well so combined with past issues it's a big thing for me. But I came here just for some reassurance. Sometimes I do that. But it is better than going back to bad habits, right? I understand weight fluctuates. I am OK with that when I am anywhere 140s-160s or lower but I'm not used to weighing this much so it really bothers me. :/ My goal is 127 and I'm *normally* anywhere like I said 140-160 which fluctuated throughout the year back and forth. That wasn't too bad. But I was in a wheelchair for 5 months and I have not been out of it even a year until June or July so I am a lot bigger than I'm comfortable with and kind of in a bit of a hurry to get back to what I feel is normal for me. So fluctuations right now feel a lot worse than fluctuations when I'm smaller..if that makes sense? I want to see all downhill. That's why I only weigh in once every few weeks or even less sometimes. I KNOW I will be lighter if I weigh in a month from now lol even if my weight is fluctuating.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Well done on overcoming your obstacles and best wishes for the future.