Hiking walking groups

Options
I know we all live in different parts of the world. I was wanting to try an start a hiking, walking group in my area and get others to start ones in their area. Waco, Tx here if anyone is interested.

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Check out meetup.com . It's a site which brings together folks for a common activity...hiking, running, sailing, watching movies...just about everything. In our area there are many hiking groups you can join. Some are more active than others.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Check out meetup.com . It's a site which brings together folks for a common activity...hiking, running, sailing, watching movies...just about everything. In our area there are many hiking groups you can join. Some are more active than others.

Thx
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There may be such clubs already in existence. If you have state or national parks or local preserves, there may be some groups that hike together there.

Also, holler if you ever come up to Maine for a hike! :)
  • crowleyed72
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    There may be such clubs already in existence. If you have state or national parks or local preserves, there may be some groups that hike together there.

Also, holler if you ever come up to Maine for a hike! :)

Will do I plan on hiking the Appalachian trail in two to three years
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are some great books of thru-hikers like Granny Gatewood and the Barefoot Sisters. Have you discovered those yet? :)
  • crowleyed72
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    There are some great books of thru-hikers like Granny Gatewood and the Barefoot Sisters. Have you discovered those yet? :)

Don't think I've seen those yet we ordered a basic book. Need to get back in shape. We have some hiking trails here but nothing compared to the Appalachian trail. Starting small an building up to do the Appalachians. Next summer planning a trip to hike the Guadalupe hiking trails an backwoods camping
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Meetup is a great place to find hiking/walking groups. I belong to two different hiking groups in the Raleigh/Durham area. Good luck on finding the right group for you - or, you can start your own.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Meetup is the best place. If you are interested in how other groups work, you can check out the one I belong to. It is the oldest hiking group in the US (since 1924) so you can get a feel for how a successful one has organized and operated: wisconsingohiking.homestead.com/