My legs are on FIRE

2»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting fitted for a shoe at a running shop. It made a huge difference for me. Turns out I needed a support shoe.

This is good advice for runners. But most running shoes have a raised heel, which will likely perpetuate her problems while walking. Even shoes marketed as "walking shoes" tend to have a raised heel. Personally i'd start with a comfy pair of skateboard shoes, but if you go to a runners store, ask for a zero-heel option like Altra. Walking doesn't require as much support as running does, but if it's needed, i'd start with an insole like Superfeet or Powerstep. That way it can be removed when your feet get stronger. Excessive support leads to plantar fasciitis. :+1:
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    I have a lot of problems with pain and clicking in my ankles from prior injuries (I've broken both of my ankles more than once) and I've also got heels spurs and plantar fasciitis. I really like these two shoe brands for comfort: allbirds.com and kurufootwear.com. Also, are you walking on a treadmill or outdoors? That can make a difference. Walk outdoors at a natural pace (don't try to walk too fast) instead of maintaining a fast pace on a treadmill. This can stress your joints, tendons, and ligaments. Stretch before and after walks.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member

From Cherimoose: "This is good advice for runners. But most running shoes have a raised heel, which will likely perpetuate her problems while walking. Even shoes marketed as "walking shoes" tend to have a raised heel. Personally i'd start with a comfy pair of skateboard shoes, but if you go to a runners store, ask for a zero-heel option like Altra. Walking doesn't require as much support as running does, but if it's needed, i'd start with an insole like Superfeet or Powerstep. That way it can be removed when your feet get stronger. Excessive support leads to plantar fasciitis."

I totally agree on the raised heel issue, Cherimoose, but there are TWO causes of plantar fasciitis: over pronation and under pronation. If you under pronate, then yes, excessive support can lead to plantar fasciitis. However, if you over pronate (like me), you need a shoe with a lot of support to hold your heel in place more firmly and prevent over pronation in your stride. The cure for plantar fasciitis for the under pronater is stretching, while the cure for the over pronater is exactly the opposite--stretching will lead to further tearing. Over pronaters over stretch in their stride causing tearing and injury. If you're someone who can easily bend over and put your palms flat on the floor without bending your knees and you get plantar fasciitis, you're an over pronater to be sure!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    From Cherimoose: "This is good advice for runners. But most running shoes have a raised heel, which will likely perpetuate her problems while walking. Even shoes marketed as "walking shoes" tend to have a raised heel. Personally i'd start with a comfy pair of skateboard shoes, but if you go to a runners store, ask for a zero-heel option like Altra. Walking doesn't require as much support as running does, but if it's needed, i'd start with an insole like Superfeet or Powerstep. That way it can be removed when your feet get stronger. Excessive support leads to plantar fasciitis."

I totally agree on the raised heel issue, Cherimoose, but there are TWO causes of plantar fasciitis: over pronation and under pronation. If you under pronate, then yes, excessive support can lead to plantar fasciitis. However, if you over pronate (like me), you need a shoe with a lot of support to hold your heel in place more firmly and prevent over pronation in your stride. The cure for plantar fasciitis for the under pronater is stretching, while the cure for the over pronater is exactly the opposite--stretching will lead to further tearing. Over pronaters over stretch in their stride causing tearing and injury. If you're someone who can easily bend over and put your palms flat on the floor without bending your knees and you get plantar fasciitis, you're an over pronater to be sure!

You described why I got plantars fasciitis. I over pronate and didn't have enough support. Between going through PT and getting fitted for the activities I do, I am no longer really having the issues; side note, I am not a runner but rather was doing HIIT and I cycle. I know at my runners store, they also have a variety of good walking shoes.
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Fab advice from everyone with interesting facts, thank you! I've been walking outside, as I prefer to look around my surroundings. I have a pair of skater shoes at home. They're quite old though! I might give them a go before purchasing a new pair as currently saving the pennies for vienna in a couple of weeks (lots of walking sight seeing to be done, hence my original reason for starting walking again, fears of slowing everyone down :neutral:)