How to Get Abs?

Options
I would like to tone up and work on getting a muscular core. The typical sit ups, crunches, planks and leg lifts are a bit tedious and boring.. Does anyone have any fun and effective core workouts they can share with me? Is there something you add or take away from you diet? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    add squats and deadlifts, take away a modest amount of calories
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Getting abs=lowering BF%=calorie deficit plus heavy lifting
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 21% and my calorie goal is to maintain my current weight and BMI%. If I start lifting heavy weights shouldn't I increase my calorie intake so I don't lose weight and develop an unhealthy BMI that is too low? I've heard often in these forums that to gain muscle/mass you should eat in surplus.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Read the recomp thread. It's in the maintaining weight section
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try Ab Ripper X.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 21% and my calorie goal is to maintain my current weight and BMI%. If I start lifting heavy weights shouldn't I increase my calorie intake so I don't lose weight and develop an unhealthy BMI that is too low? I've heard often in these forums that to gain muscle/mass you should eat in surplus.

Not necessarily. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have toned my abs on the dip machine. By extending and lowering legs while suspended . Do 3x20. Them on the same dip machine I crunch towards my chest and down . Also 3 x 20 . Has worked for me
  • Rinkey78
    Rinkey78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    They're there.. Just gotta uncover them by lowering your body fat %
    Keep lifting and eat clean, good foods at a deficiency

This^^ You can work your abs all you want, but if your body fat % is too high they will star buried under fat. Eat healthy foods, stay away from unhealthy carbs (white rice, pasta, etc) and eat as clean as possible and you will see they will start to pop up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Rinkey78 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    They're there.. Just gotta uncover them by lowering your body fat %
    Keep lifting and eat clean, good foods at a deficiency

This^^ You can work your abs all you want, but if your body fat % is too high they will star buried under fat. Eat in a deficitand you will see they will start to pop up.

Fixed.

OP, doing recomp is a way of maintaining weight but slowly losing fat and gaining muscle. Your bmi won't change, but your bf% will lower (bmi isn't a percentage?).... If you don't want a lower bf% then you'll have to live with your covered abs, sorry!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To point out, it's more than just low body fat %, it's also good body composition. Gotta have developed muscle to have abs. Which is often why it can take some time to get them.

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options

Are you the male or female in the pic? Do you know your body fat %?
  • tstout83
    tstout83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just been eating good and doing planks, leg lifts and a few other exercises as well as running. Lost 1 stone and toned up quite a bit compared to when I started about 4 months ago.
  • winejunky143
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Female, my BMI is 21%. I'm not sure what my body fat % is and I'm slightly confused at the difference now or how to find it out considering other users previous comments. I have little to no fat on my stomach though but no muscle really. Just looking for good/fun exercise suggestions to strengthen my core :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Female, my BMI is 21%. I'm not sure what my body fat % is and I'm slightly confused at the difference now or how to find it out considering other users previous comments. I have little to no fat on my stomach though but no muscle really. Just looking for good/fun exercise suggestions to strengthen my core :)

BMI is just a height/weight calculation. BF% is the percent of your weight that is fat. A low BF% coupled with a good foundation of lean body mass (muscle) is typically the best way to have visible abs. Fun & core strengthening may not be the same for everyone. Also, just doing core exercises doesn't necessarily get you to having abs quicker or easier.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was doing planks to get some tone but my abs didn't show until I got down to 15% body fat. Of course I have put on twenty pounds and my body fat is now 22% so my abs are hibernating right now.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

BMI is just a height/weight calculation. BF% is the percent of your weight that is fat. A low BF% coupled with a good foundation of lean body mass (muscle) is typically the best way to have visible abs. Fun & core strengthening may not be the same for everyone. Also, just doing core exercises doesn't necessarily get you to having abs quicker or easier.

Pretty much. And for women, it regularly requires 18% BF or less. And in some cases requires a bit of extra work like bulks/cuts.
  • winejunky143
    Options
    I found a great article I wanted to share about body fat %.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/

Thanks everyone for your great advice and ideas!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

My BMI is 25.4, which is overweight. Body fat and muscle mass is what counts. At the moment I have quite a bit of fat on my stomach but I can see some abs on good days, that's because I have good muscles built already.
    Start lifting, maintaining your calories for now. See what happens.