MaintainING 100lbs weight loose

Options
After losing around 100 lbs steady over the last 2 years I'm about my ideal weight but find maintaining soooooooooooo much more difficult than loosing ... Any tips or accountability buddies would be great as I don't want to slip back in to bad habbits

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you finding hard about it?
  • Aaisha92
    Aaisha92 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just had so much motivation while loosing the wait to log and track what I was eating .. can't seen to find that spark again
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Find some physical activity that you like and set goals related to that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Really well done on your weight loss.

I saw you are doing the Manchester run. Make that your goal and inspiration to keep on track now, and find other local runs to keep up your training.
    Just think, you could turn your fitness and weight maintenance goal into a great travel opportunity and make friends all over the world if you wanted.

Read the 'maintenance' sub-forum stickies and threads. You will get loads of great and different ideas on how to maintain.

Cheers, h.
  • Aaisha92
    Options

"Just think, you could turn your fitness and weight maintenance goal into a great travel opportunity and make friends all over the world if you wanted" love this thanks !!!
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 91lb loss in 15 months, hoping to hit the 100 Mark soon! congratulations I know how hard it is. Do you do a 5k? rock climbing? have u tries zumba? try mixing it up
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 lbs., last 40 on Weight Watchers over 10 yrs ago. I've gone to at least one meeting per month for 10 years. My biggest WI was 186, my goal is 184. This morning at home I weighed 178.

First thing I noticed at WW was the revolving door nature of the place. Regaining some, all, or more than our loss is a real problem. Just my unscientific observation, to lose 100 lbs and keep it off requires unusual effort.

Because I'd seen so many WW people at my meeting say they had gained it all back, it scared me into sticking with tracking. I tracked for 5 years. I tried several times to do without it but immediately started gaining. Finally I got to a place where I could maintain and not track.

So for about 6 years I've been maintaining mostly without tracking. Mostly. I've had 2 episodes where I started gaining that almost put me more than 2 lbs over my goal, a WW line in the sand. Both times I went back to tracking until I was comfortably below my goal. Tracking has worked every time I've tried it.

Mostly I'm able to maintain because I'm pretty active, I have no interest in a lot of high calorie food I used to eat, and I still weigh my portions when home. BTW, I'll be 67 in a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest you see if you can get by weighing and measuring to control portions. If not, go back to tracking pronto. It works. The danger is real. Look around you. Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps. Good luck.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can check out the "Maintaining Weight" forum here on MFP. Lots of tips there. Congrats your huge loss!
  • Aaisha92
    Options
    Thanks " 88olds " reading your comment really helped. I noticed that when I didn't track my eating regularly for a few weeks I started slipping. Tracking seem to be the key but Id love to get to the point where I don't need to any more
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @aaisha Like I said, don't do what most people do. At first I was afraid to not track but finally after years, I quit. But by then if you looked at my tracker it would have about the same 8-10 meals over and over.

Once you can maintain without it, don't wait too long to pick it up again if needed. It was hard to restart, but I've done it twice, always works. Last thing- my last WW leader who had become a leader after losing 150 lbs, said she can't say how many times she joined WW, but she has lost 100 lbs 5 times and gained it back. Take care.