Basic strength training

Options
Hi All,

I have been loosing weight since last September but have recently hit a bit of a plateau. I think i am getting to the end of the weight loss that can be achieved through cardio and proper diet. I have gone from 15 to 12 stone since last September, shedding 42lb.

I feel great, but i still want to lose another stone or so. I haven't been lifting weights as i wanted to see how far i could go with just cardio and diet.

So, my question is, what exercises and what set/rep ratio should I do for just general toning? I don't want to hulk it up, just improve muscle definition slightly and shed some of the excess fat, particularly around my stomach, as i seem to collect it all there!

Thanks for any advice,

Dale

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Look at stronglifts or one of the compound lift for beginners.

If you are eating a deficit you are not going to "Hulk" trust me but a heavy lift routine that you stick to will shed fat like you have no idea.

I speak from experience. I went from 18 stone to 14 stone on Cardio and diet. switched out to mostly weights about 4 months ago and burnt off another stone and I SWEAR it is all fat!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Huge misconception . "I don't want to hulk up" , hulking up takes years of heavy lifting at a surplus it doesn't just happen .

5x5 strong lifts is a good start . You can lift as heavy as you want , no such thing as light weights for toning . Make sure your form is correct that's all.
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Not really a misconception. I know that hulking up takes a lot of time and effort, I was merely stating that my intention was to tone up and not become a bodybuilder.

I'll give the StrongLifts 5x5 a go for a few months and see how that goes.

Cheers