Elliptical or Treadmill to lose weight???

Options
Which is the best one to lose weight and for how much time. I am planning on 4days a week...
Any information is appreciated.

Hope you all are having a good day.. :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What machine you use really has no bearing on losing weight...machines don't burn calories...energy expenditure is about mass moved over distance and intensity. Beyond that, it's more diet than anything...you don't actually need exercise to lose weight...I train my *kitten* off and maintain...because I eat to maintenance.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    NoMoreAfatChick Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What machine you use really has no bearing on losing weight...machines don't burn calories...energy expenditure is about mass moved over distance and intensity. Beyond that, it's more diet than anything...you don't actually need exercise to lose weight...I train my *kitten* off and maintain...because I eat to maintenance.

hey thanks...
    i am counting my calories and i wanna do some physical exercise too.. so i was just wondering which one will aid in "weight loss"..
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This ^

You can lose weight on your couch by cutting your calories under your daily expenditure

If you are a runner then the treadmill is probably more enjoyable, if you need something low impact then the elliptical, I personally prefer the Arc Trainer. It's all about what you enjoy and what you can maintain based on your goals

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

hey thanks...
    i am counting my calories and i wanna do some physical exercise too.. so i was just wondering which one will aid in "weight loss"..

Either or...it depends on what you're doing...intensity...resistance...distance covered, etc. Do whatever it is you enjoy doing as really, regular exercise should be a part of your maintenance plan as well as weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like the most. Consistency is the most important. Even if one of them burned twice as many calories per hour, it wouldn't matter if you never used it because you hated it.

And of course, you still need a calorie deficit.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    This ^

You can lose weight on your couch by cutting your calories under your daily expenditure

If you are a runner then the treadmill is probably more enjoyable, if you need something low impact then the elliptical, I personally prefer the Arc Trainer. It's all about what you enjoy and what you can maintain based on your goals

thanx.. :)
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Whichever one you like the most. Consistency is the most important. Even if one of them burned twice as many calories per hour, it wouldn't matter if you never used it because you hated it.

And of course, you still need a calorie deficit.

surething.. thanx.. :)
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depends if you like to have impact or not. I have an elliptical because running hurts my knees and hips still. Maybe when I'm closer to goal it won't hurt as much, but for now the elliptical is for me. You have to decide what you would ENJOY using.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    Depends if you like to have impact or not. I have an elliptical because running hurts my knees and hips still. Maybe when I'm closer to goal it won't hurt as much, but for now the elliptical is for me. You have to decide what you would ENJOY using.

i think i am gonna go with elliptical for now..
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For medical reasons, I decided in favor of my Gazelle Edge glider (similar to an elliptical, but not quite the same. Click link for full details: http://www.livestrong.com/article/150327-gazelle-vs-elliptical-exercise-trainers/).

However, my issues aren't going to be yours. I have refluxed veins and lymph edema. Right now, both are under control, and I hope that between compression stockings and weight loss, they'll stay that way. But one reality of the condition(s) is that any cut or scrape on my left shin/calf takes forever to heal and runs the risk of an infection that takes multiple doses of oral antibiotics to treat—which puts me at risk for building up a resistance to antibiotics. So. My parents gave me their old treadmill. And one day, it decided to accelerate from 3.0 to 5.3 mph, just as I was getting onto the belt. I now refer to that evening as "The night my treadmill tried to kill me." Ground my shin into the carpet (yes, the left one) and took off a patch of skin roughly 1"x3". I slathered the area with Polysporin (I think in the US, that's Neosporin) and bandaged it with a gauze pad and gauze cling, but a day later the leg was swollen. Two courses of K-Flex later, the swelling was down, but it still took another couple of weeks to heal.

Reality is, if the treadmill attempted homicide once, it may do so again.

Now, no fitness machine is 100% safe. But looking at my glider, apart from normal sore muscles from overdoing, the injuries I'm most likely to encounter using it are:
    • Stubbing my toe on the apparatus as I walk by
    • Twisting or spraining an ankle if I step off the pedals wrong

In other words, not likely to find myself sprawled on the carpet minus a patch of shin. I'm using my glider.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me the elliptical is easier to maintain a fast pace on. Something about being responsible for my own momentum, rather than having to "match pace" with the treadmill, really motivates me. Elliptical is also less jarring for me.

On the elliptical I burn off around 300 - 330 in a half hour; on the treadmill I burn off about 200 - 230 in a half hour.

But that might be different for you . . . I would just try both for a set amount of time (like 15 minutes) and compare. And also maybe you'll just like one more than the other.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Most efficient way to lose weight plug your stats into mfp figure out how much you want to lose a week and follow the calorie guidelines. Exercise has additional benefits but it won't be as fast and efficient as cutting calories

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. To put things in perspective when I started I was 288 pounds my current weight is 208 it took me 8 months to lose it and I've been maintaining for eight months.

Because of my weight and other physical limitations I can't run and machines are boring to me so I would have to walk outside. To lose the weight I would probably have to walk 5 to 7 miles a day 7 days a week for eight months. It was just easier to reduce the calories but I did work out based on my physical limitations. As a result of the weight loss I can do a lot more physically than I could a year-and-a-half ago.
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    Most efficient way to lose weight plug your stats into mfp figure out how much you want to lose a week and follow the calorie guidelines. Exercise has additional benefits but it won't be as fast and efficient as cutting calories

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. To put things in perspective when I started I was 288 pounds my current weight is 208 it took me 8 months to lose it and I've been maintaining for eight months.

Because of my weight and other physical limitations I can't run and machines are boring to me so I would have to walk outside. To lose the weight I would probably have to walk 5 to 7 miles a day 7 days a week for eight months. It was just easier to reduce the calories but I did work out based on my physical limitations. As a result of the weight loss I can do a lot more physically than I could a year-and-a-half ago.

wow.. 80pounds.. amazing job...
    thanks..
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you have to choose one or the other? I run (usually outside) a few days a week and use an elliptical a couple days as well. It's nice to do both as sort of cross training. If buying and I could only get one, I think the treadmill because it is more flexible - run, walk, hills, fast, slow. The elliptical has levels and such, but for me, a treadmill seems to have more options. I will say though when I was starting out - I burned more calories on the elliptical and most say it's easier on the knees.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Pick the one you can see using for years to come.

This. The one you feel more comfortable, you'll stick to the cardio if you start to like it.

The elliptical is better for beginners and overweight people for its low impact, you won't feel tired and can do a lot more time/resistance, however they tend to measure calories burned incorrectly. The theadmills are more accurate in their calorie outopt.
  • Daniel_Damti
    Daniel_Damti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i usually mix them together
    30 min jogging/running
    10 min elliptical
    20 min Biking
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I prefer elliptical because elliptical burn more calories than threadmill . Threadmill burn calories but slower . So elliptical is more time saving .
  • NoMoreAfatChick
    Options
    emyjuita6 wrote: »
    I prefer elliptical because elliptical burn more calories than threadmill . Threadmill burn calories but slower . So elliptical is more time saving .

i kind of feel the same. And i feel damn damn exhausted after 5mins on treadmill.. But i wanna push myself more if i am gonna lose more weight coz of treadmill..