New to MFP- learning the ropes

Options
Struggling with making food my teen will eat too! :(

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you have always eaten, just less.

Put your stats into MFP, weigh your food with a digital scale, and eat the amount of calories you are given.

If overtime you find your nutrition is low, or you are not satiated make changes that work with the food you and your daughter like.

There are no bad foods, there are no foods you need to avoid, except for medical or binge trigger reasons.

You may find it useful to just log what you normally eat for a couple of weeks then looking where you can cut back so you meet your calorie goals.

Different people have different methods. I found just cutting portions across the board worked well for me.

Cheers, h.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What will your teen eat? This may be a good starting point for brainstorming. There are no foods you need to avoid, so if what they would eat is reasonably good on calories just do that, eating less of it yourself. If It's too high in calories and may not satisfy you, think of sides you could add to your dish that make your portion more satisfying...etc. Another way would be to pick and choose, if you don't have enough calories for both burger and fries, eat one or the other, but not both. You could pick the burger with a side salad, or the fries with some leftover chicken breast or have the burger bunless (that would be a sad burger to me, but it works for some). In short, find the least offensive ways to your dieting morale to reduce your calories and roll with them. While someone may find it easier to cut the bun out, I find it easier to have a lighter breakfast to fit the bun in.

ETA: Another way to grant yourself more food options is to increase your activity, so consider that, but be reasonable with your expectations.