Pan searing

Options
nichell88
nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
Quick question, how do you guys log cooking oil when you're pansearing? Do you put it in as its own ingredient? Do you create a recipe for each thing and put it in that way? What do people think?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I actually don't log it.. I don't log most spices either. I've read about people who do though.
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I never really log it tbh but when I do I just scan the barcode and log it I only log if its eggs or just enough for 1 meal other than that I dont pay too much attention
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If I'm using the drippings in something (such as gravy or sauce), I'll make a quick recipe for that sauce and include it.

Otherwise, if I am just using it to grease the pan, I don't log it. Most often its a spritz of vegetable or olive oil spray.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I pan sear steaks with butter, and yes, I log the butter.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I smear the butter cube across the warming fry pan and log it as 1/2 tsp.
    If I wanted to be exact, I could weigh the cube, smear/melt the butter, and weigh the cube again for the difference.
    With olive oil I guess a teaspoon or tablespoon, again I could weigh the difference if I needed that precision. I don't.

But you leave some oil in the pan. Weigh the oily pan, wash and dry it, and weigh again to find the the difference.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just choose "pan fried" rather than "broiled" or whatever from the food options. That seems to take the extra calories from cooking style at least somewhat into account. But if I were finding I were having trouble losing weight as I expected, that would be where I'd be looking.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I count it but I'm never sure how much of the fat is left in the pan and how much evaporates so I usually only count 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount I use. Hard to be completely accurate with this, too many variables. If you don't do it on a regular basis it's not going to make much difference in the long run.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log my cooking fat, and the weighed raw ingredients.
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always log it, since oil is super calorie dense. I measure what I put in the pan and divide by two, since I'm usually cooking two pieces of fish, or whatever. It's always worked out for me.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I measure it out with tablespoons and other tools, and log it.