Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lifting schedule

I've been lifting for about six months now, and I love it, but recently we moved house and it was crazy exhausting. We had to take a month off from the gym, and since going back (I've been going for the last four weeks) I feel really burned out. I was doing 4 days of lifting (split routines), 2 days of HIIT on a trampoline, 1 rest day. But I'm exhausted, I can't seem to shake off a cold, and I think I've hit a wall. In the past I suffered with CFS, so I have to be careful.

I've decided to cut back the lifting to 3 times a week, but change from split to total body. And to do just one HIIT session, and two days of more gentle Pilates. My worry is, will I lose my gains if I cut back? Or will I gain more, because I'm hitting my muscle groups more frequently, and not doing so much cardio? I guess I want some reassurance!

I hit my goal weight before we moved, and in fact the move was such hard work that I dropped a few pounds below it, so I'm pretty lean right now, BF % is about 20%. I'm still aiming to build both muscle strength and size though.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    You should be fine. I switch between 3 full body days and a 4 day upper / lower split throughout th year no problem.
  • troodle_doodle
    troodle_doodle Posts: 13 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    You should be fine. I switch between 3 full body days and a 4 day upper / lower split throughout th year no problem.

Cool, thanks.
  • troodle_doodle
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why would you have to take a month off to move. I moved from CA to TEXAS and didn't miss a day, and I drove it. I worked out in hotels on the way, and once I arrived, I found the nearest gym and never missed a day. Anyway, full body 3 days is legit.

Because the house we were moving to had just been abandoned by the last tenant, and needed massive amounts of work both inside and in the outbuildings before we could move in (we run a business from home, so in effect we were moving a home, an office, and a workshop too). It took four weeks of twelve hour days to get the work done. There was plenty of exercise, believe me, just not gym time! I was burning upwards of 3000 kcals a day.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2017
    Switching to a 3-day full body routine, you'll actually be doing more work (ie hitting all your muscles three times a week instead of once or twice). Gains will not be lost.
  • troodle_doodle
    Good, thanks. That's what I hoped.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    You might consider doing 2-day a week full body workouts if you're looking to recover. Gains are a lot easier to maintain versus making progress.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Generally speaking more volume will add to your lifts.

There is a risk of overtraining because there is not enough recovery to allow adaptation depending on what experience level you currently are and what level the new program is.

How was your lifts progressing on the split?

How much more volume was added?

What program are you running?

• troodle_doodle
    Thanks everyone, I just wanted to follow up on this. I'm feeling much better at three sessions a week, and I'm definitely seeing results, both in strength and in muscle growth.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2017
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why would you have to take a month off to move. I moved from CA to TEXAS and didn't miss a day, and I drove it. I worked out in hotels on the way, and once I arrived, I found the nearest gym and never missed a day. Anyway, full body 3 days is legit.

that is irrelevant to the question...and not really your concern...regardless of it you "powered through" or not.

I took last summer off due to a groin pull...gonna get at me over that? I could have still done upper body and less lower...

OP take the rest you need otherwise you won't be getting any gains.