New runner here..help!

Morning all! Just started running, aka jogging this past month. Yay! Started out with a jog/walk combo for a mile a day. Then jumped to a 1.5 mile jog. Calves and shins were screaming! So I bought new sneakers and it feels a little better, but after a mile slow run, my shins are hurting again. I stretch before and after, but my question is will this pass? Or is there something else I should be doing? TIA!

Replies

• teenacollie
    teenacollie Posts: 4 Member
    Also yoga once a week helps stretch out all those minor muscles and increase stability and blood flow.
    And as petty as it sounds, Good shoes goes along way.
  • wpg2mpls
    wpg2mpls Posts: 17 Member
    How did you determine which shoes to buy? Unless you run with absolutely perfect form it is really beneficial to go to a running store and have an expert there watch you walk and jog and help select a shoe for you based on any issues you have that could lead to injury. For example, I have flat arches which cause me to over-pronate. Based on this, I was recommended to use higher stability shoes to counteract the issue and it made a world of difference.
    Also, what type of surface are you running on? Are there any trails near where you are that you can use instead of concrete sidewalks? I'm in Minneapolis and we have lots of crushed limestone trails which allow for much softer foot strikes and are a lot gentler on my joints and feet.

Aside from that, try to focus on how your feet are hitting the ground. I used to be a heel-strike runner but found I was having a lot of pain in my lower legs as well. I practiced hitting the ground with the middle of my foot first as opposed to the heel and have found that this resolved many of those issues.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    If you're experiencing shin splints, you need to take some time off. Rest, stretch, ice and take some ibuprofen until the pain gets better. If you don't take the time off now, it will get worse. Stretching should be a part of your cool down anytime you run or walk.

I agree that shoes make a ton of difference. Get to a running store and have them watch you move and fit you for some good shoes. They're worth the cost.

When you're starting out, running every day is not a good idea. You need to give your body time to get used to the pounding. Aim for 3 (maybe 4 depending on the person) days a week and take at least a day off in between runs. Look at the Couch to 5k Plan...it will give you a good plan to follow as a newbie. Lots of people have done it successfully!

When you do get out there, focus on running at a pace you could carry on a conversation at. It will help make sure you're not heading out too fast.

Good luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    As discussed above, appropriate shoes for your stride and follow a good training program like Couch to 5k.

I would suggest focusing on your stride more than how your feet land. Changing how you naturally land can lead to other problems. Keep your stride short so that you land under your body. Keep your posture upright (don't lean) and keep your cadence high. Doing these 3 things will sort out your foot landing naturally.

Keep your pace slow enough so you can easily talk or sing while you run. And don't try to do more than the program instructs you to.

Good luck.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    As discussed above, appropriate shoes for your stride and follow a good training program like Couch to 5k.

I would suggest focusing on your stride more than how your feet land. Changing how you naturally land can lead to other problems. Keep your stride short so that you land under your body. Keep your posture upright (don't lean) and keep your cadence high. Doing these 3 things will sort out your foot landing naturally.

Keep your pace slow enough so you can easily talk or sing while you run. And don't try to do more than the program instructs you to.

Good luck.

^^^THIS - Good summary of above posts^^^

C25K is a great app and i use it regularly. FYI - the app tells you when you are 1/2 way so you can turn around if you are going one way (like on a trail).
  • des0219
    des0219 Posts: 3 Member
    Also yoga once a week helps stretch out all those minor muscles and increase stability and blood flow.
    And as petty as it sounds, Good shoes goes along way.

Very funny how you say that. I just came from yoga class and my shins feel a million times better!
  • des0219
    des0219 Posts: 3 Member
    wpg2mpls wrote: »
    How did you determine which shoes to buy? Unless you run with absolutely perfect form it is really beneficial to go to a running store and have an expert there watch you walk and jog and help select a shoe for you based on any issues you have that could lead to injury. For example, I have flat arches which cause me to over-pronate. Based on this, I was recommended to use higher stability shoes to counteract the issue and it made a world of difference.
    Also, what type of surface are you running on? Are there any trails near where you are that you can use instead of concrete sidewalks? I'm in Minneapolis and we have lots of crushed limestone trails which allow for much softer foot strikes and are a lot gentler on my joints and feet.

Aside from that, try to focus on how your feet are hitting the ground. I used to be a heel-strike runner but found I was having a lot of pain in my lower legs as well. I practiced hitting the ground with the middle of my foot first as opposed to the heel and have found that this resolved many of those issues.

Thanks for the input. I actually did some research online before chosing these sneakers. They were recommended for beginners, but going to a running store may not be a bad idea. I currently run on my road, so blacktop. We do have some trails nearby. I will try that, especially with the weather being so nice!