I. Just. Want. To. Log. My. APPLEEEEEEEEEE >_<

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    10 entries is nothing! If you eat it too fast, though, just know there's only one entry for an apple sticker, but it's 0 calories, so the weight shouldn't matter if it's only one. Because, you know, rounding laws.

But how much fibre is in it?

It didn't say, and that made me sad.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    10 entries is nothing! If you eat it too fast, though, just know there's only one entry for an apple sticker, but it's 0 calories, so the weight shouldn't matter if it's only one. Because, you know, rounding laws.

But how much fibre is in it?

It didn't say, and that made me sad.

Darn the inaccurate database. :grumble:
  • macdothall
    macdothall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    It makes me laugh what comes up in the database sometimes.

Word. MFP could afford to clean out their database.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's wild. Just give me grams or avoirdupois ounces.

For some things I'll accept cups or tea/tablespoons, but what on Earth is one container of tomato? Six fluid ounces of bread?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

For some things I'll accept cups or tea/tablespoons, but what on Earth is one container of tomato? Six fluid ounces of bread?

Or one cup of broccoli? What does that even mean?
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I saw an asparagus entry recently that was in cups. It made me want to facepalm.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Ah, the tomato container entry strikes again!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Try checking for cake. The number of entries for 1 piece is ridiculous!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    macdothall wrote: »

MFP could afford to clean out their database.

Actually it has been cleaned up by Staff, quite a bit, but as long as entries are input carelessly it'll always go back to the same cluttered mess. :# A number of members have shared over time they don't do a search instead they simply add a new entry with their name next to it. That I don't understand... if you put it in your food diary, why would you ever need to go back and look for it with your name on it? Am I missing something in regards to that?
  • Tryin2BeNew
    Tryin2BeNew Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I scan barcodes whenever possible.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    macdothall wrote: »

MFP could afford to clean out their database.

Actually it has been cleaned up by Staff, quite a bit, but as long as entries are input carelessly it'll always go back to the same cluttered mess. :# A number of members have shared over time they don't do a search instead they simply add a new entry with their name next to it. That I don't understand... if you put it in your food diary, why would you ever need to go back and look for it with your name on it? Am I missing something in regards to that?

You aren't allowed to enter exact duplicates, so if there are multiple entries of the item you're adding, you have to change the name in some way. I do this, but I don't share my entries with the database at all. I'm quite tired of people messing with them and making them inaccurate after I've put in the effort to create them! Once, one of my entries was edited... To REMOVE the micronutrients! O.o And several times my gram entries were changed into cups. Now I'm stingy and keep them for myself. ;)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of the mess. I've been thinking about trying a different app. I make most of my food and it's frustrating having so many choices, many inaccurate, when all you want to do is add some brussel sprouts! And finding the ingredients in the recipe builder is even worse. I know the brussel sprout entry I want when adding directly to my diary, but that specific entry wouldn't come up in the recipe builder.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I'm tired of the mess. I've been thinking about trying a different app. I make most of my food and it's frustrating having so many choices, many inaccurate, when all you want to do is add some brussel sprouts! And finding the ingredients in the recipe builder is even worse. I know the brussel sprout entry I want when adding directly to my diary, but that specific entry wouldn't come up in the recipe builder.

I've been there with that exact ingredient and it's the reason why I only use the recipe builder if I have portions that last more than 1 meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've been there with that exact ingredient and it's the reason why I only use the recipe builder if I have portions that last more than 1 meal.

This is why I hate the recipe builder too. I have the foods I commonly use on recents and favorites, but that doesn't help when doing a recipe.

I will again say that Chron is great for whole food ingredients. I'm going to start logging again, I think, and will probably do it there.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Is there really that much difference, calorie wise, between different types of apples?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on the algorithm itself. I know to search for "garlic, raw", but an algorithm with the slightest of common sense should know that when I want garlic, I did not mean chicken, or fries, or knots, or kangkong (whatever that is). I counted 32 entries before I reached an entry that said garlic (user entered, unconfirmed). I just want to log my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlic!
    ot4gb8vwgp8r.png

Now, "garlic, raw" has what I want but not a single entry I'm given is confirmed. How hard is it to list confirmed foods first? Or even better, official database foods first.
    g76cdbx94qdh.png

and then there are things like these littering the database and not even a rudimentary QA in place:
    q1obu604cex8.png
    up2z44elykn9.png
    xr56by9rbsd8.png
    i40hhr0aho1d.png

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is why I hate the recipe builder too. I have the foods I commonly use on recents and favorites, but that doesn't help when doing a recipe.

I will again say that Chron is great for whole food ingredients. I'm going to start logging again, I think, and will probably do it there.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've downloaded it and played around a bit. Organization and ease of finding what your looking for is fantastic.

Able to find the correct entry for brussel sprouts (and other ingredients) easier. I scanned a couple items and that function works well too. Recipe function works nicely. I've been using MPF for a long time, but I think it's time to jump ship. Unless they work out the database bugs, I probably won't use it to log anymore. Its just not worth the hassle of double checking every entry.

The frustrating part is they know the database is terrible, yet don't do anything to fix it. The only verified entries should be those pulling from reliable sources (i.e., nutritiondatabese) and show up first when searching an item.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Is there really that much difference, calorie wise, between different types of apples?

Probably not and it doesn't bother me as I'm here to gain weight,but I guess if your calories are limited,it's important.