Syncing MFP with FitBit Charge HR Question

Options
So I just recently started syncing my Fitbit with MFP, my question is where does MFP get exercise from. Yesterday it stated that I burned 538 calories from exercise but I did no formal exercise whatsoever. I hit 11,000 steps but that was just from my daily activity. I am maintaining and I have it set for that as well as low active. MFP said I burned a total of 2,438 calories and my fitbit says 2,347.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    11k steps reads as exercise with Fitbit which will translate onto MFP when it syncs and gives you extra calories.
    Fitbit and MFP will almost have same/similar daily totals, so when you see around 2300-2400 calories thats your total daily calories (i.e your BMR + NEAT + Exercise). If you're eating that amount you will maintain your weight. I've always found Fitbit/MFP to be accurate.
    When you do more than 10k steps in a day that is considered active rather than lightly active, that's where the extra calories come from.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1084232-what-is-the-calorie-adjustment-in-my-exercise-diary-
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    11k steps reads as exercise with Fitbit which will translate onto MFP when it syncs and gives you extra calories.
    Fitbit and MFP will almost have same/similar daily totals, so when you see around 2300-2400 calories thats your total daily calories (i.e your BMR + NEAT + Exercise). If you're eating that amount you will maintain your weight. I've always found Fitbit/MFP to be accurate.
    When you do more than 10k steps in a day that is considered active rather than lightly active, that's where the extra calories come from.

Thanks that answers the reason why I have so many added extra calories into my totals!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I set mine to active, that way there are less calories added to the totals in MFP. I average 12-14k.
    I prefer to not see huge calorie adjustments for steps that mostly come from me just being active in general, only a quarter of my steps come from purposeful exercise each day.