I am going to experiment with making sweet potato "brownies" tonight, looking for culinary feedback

Options
124»

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm super proud of myself. I have invented a low calorie protein cake that is extremely flexible and tastes... in my opinion, pretty damn good!

The recipe is good enough I'm tempted to give it it's own post.

I was getting bored of chocolate and today went for a cinnamon flavor (cinnies? Not quite as brownies? tannies even?) After I list the cinnamon version I'll detail how to make chocolate underneath, the macros will end up very similar, and there's no weird ingredients everything can come from your local supermarket. Here's the pics so you know what you're getting into. I'll definitely be making these again using this recipe.

qDJ64za.jpg

Close up of the texture (a little dry on the edges, I wouldn't over cook these, but surprisingly cakey for yogurt)

RuW6ri5.jpg

These are the stats WITHOUT frosting for the whole thing. (Frosting adds 80 cals, 17g protein, 3g carbs)

DCBDvB6.png

Let's call these french toast brownies for now:

The cake part:

- 400g non fat greek yogurt
    - 2 scoops cinnamon flavored whey (I used quest cinnamon crunch) (about 60g)
    - 2 tablespoons cinnamon (about 12g)
    - 1 squirt carey's sugar free syrup, about 2tablespoons for me, more or less depending on preference (this is the sweetener)
    - 1 large egglands best egg (or farm fresh egg if you have)
    - 1 tblspn-ish of vanilla extract
    - 1 teaspoon baking powder
    - non stick spray
    - 8x8 cookware

The frosting:

- 50g non fat greek yogurt
    - 15g vanilla casein (or vanilla whey of your choosing)

Instructions:

- Preheat oven to 350
    - combine all ingredients and mix well. I just used a spoon
    - Spoon into lightly greased/sprayed cookware
    - bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (mine took 27 min)
    - Once the cookware starts too cool, carefully remove it and let it finish cooling on a wire rack, this is important, if you don't let it cool on a wire rack it will be very 'wet' from the yogurt

Frosting instructions:

- Mix in bowl. Add more yogurt, protein, or a splash of liquid (water/vanilla/whatever) if you need to play with consistency. I ended up using almost 50g and 15g exactly.

Once cool spread on frosting and enjoy!

Chocolate brownie version with peanutbutter frosting

Same instructions, very similar macros, different ingredient list:

The cake part:

- 2 scoops chocolate flavored whey (about 60g)
    - 3 tablespoons unsweetened coco powder (about 18g)
    - 2 tablespoons PB2 powder (about 12g)
    - 2 tblspn-ish of davinci 0cal chocolate syrup or sugar free choco syrup of your choice. More or less to taste (This is the sweetener)
    - non stick spray
    - 8x8 cookware

The frosting:

- 15g pb2 powder

---

For people using freedom units, this is all based off 1lb of greek yogurt. A 2lb greek yogurt will net you two whole trays with frosting. (450g to a pound)

Looks good. I might just give that a spin today. Question. Is the frosting kind of sourish with only plain greek yogurt and the whey? Have you tried adding a bit of sweetener like stevia or something else?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Looks good. I might just give that a spin today. Question. Is the frosting kind of sourish with only plain greek yogurt and the whey? Have you tried adding a bit of sweetener like stevia or something else?

Yes, it has a bit of "tangy" to it. You can definitely sweeten it up however you see fit! Sugar free syrup, stevia, flavor drops, honey, etc, whatever you'd like. With the PB2 version the PB2 is already sweet enough to offset it. The recipe over all is not very sweet, so if you like sweet things you will want to up the amount of sweetener (maybe even doubling what I used)

If you make this, I'd love to hear feedback!
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    It's in the oven, Chocolate Peanut Butter version. I don't have chocolate syrup so I used pure maple syrup. It didn't seem liquid enough to me, maybe because I used a combination of pea and hemp protein (no whey on hand) so I thinned it out with about a half cup of cashew milk. I probably won't try it until tomorrow. I'll be sure to cool it on a wire rack as well. First batch I'll probably eat without frosting so I can taste the cake without it being overpowered by frosting.
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    They turned out pretty good. Had one for breakfast dessert. My version (2% yogurt and maple syrup) was 90 calories with 10g of protein. Very moist and soft, not much peanut butter taste so I'd probably leave that out and go for a bit more cocoa but overall a very nice alternative to cakes made with flour.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm super proud of myself. I have invented a low calorie protein cake that is extremely flexible and tastes... in my opinion, pretty damn good!

The recipe is good enough I'm tempted to give it it's own post.

I was getting bored of chocolate and today went for a cinnamon flavor (cinnies? Not quite as brownies? tannies even?) After I list the cinnamon version I'll detail how to make chocolate underneath, the macros will end up very similar, and there's no weird ingredients everything can come from your local supermarket. Here's the pics so you know what you're getting into. I'll definitely be making these again using this recipe.

qDJ64za.jpg

Close up of the texture (a little dry on the edges, I wouldn't over cook these, but surprisingly cakey for yogurt)

RuW6ri5.jpg

These are the stats WITHOUT frosting for the whole thing. (Frosting adds 80 cals, 17g protein, 3g carbs)

DCBDvB6.png

Let's call these french toast brownies for now:

The cake part:

- 2 scoops cinnamon flavored whey (I used quest cinnamon crunch) (about 60g)
    - 2 tablespoons cinnamon (about 12g)
    - 1 squirt carey's sugar free syrup, about 2tablespoons for me, more or less depending on preference (this is the sweetener)
    - 1 tblspn-ish of vanilla extract
    - non stick spray
    - 8x8 cookware

The frosting:

- 15g vanilla casein (or vanilla whey of your choosing)

Instructions:

- Preheat oven to 350
    - combine all ingredients and mix well. I just used a spoon
    - Spoon into lightly greased/sprayed cookware
    - bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (mine took 27 min)
    - Once the cookware starts too cool, carefully remove it and let it finish cooling on a wire rack, this is important, if you don't let it cool on a wire rack it will be very 'wet' from the yogurt

Frosting instructions:

- Mix in bowl. Add more yogurt, protein, or a splash of liquid (water/vanilla/whatever) if you need to play with consistency. I ended up using almost 50g and 15g exactly.

Once cool spread on frosting and enjoy!

Chocolate brownie version with peanutbutter frosting

Same instructions, very similar macros, different ingredient list:

The cake part:

- 2 scoops chocolate flavored whey (about 60g)
    - 3 tablespoons unsweetened coco powder (about 18g)
    - 2 tablespoons PB2 powder (about 12g)
    - 2 tblspn-ish of davinci 0cal chocolate syrup or sugar free choco syrup of your choice. More or less to taste (This is the sweetener)
    - non stick spray
    - 8x8 cookware

The frosting:

- 15g pb2 powder

---

For people using freedom units, this is all based off 1lb of greek yogurt. A 2lb greek yogurt will net you two whole trays with frosting. (450g to a pound)

These both sound yummy! I'll be trying both I think - are the calories for the choco brownie version more or less the same as the cinnamon?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Yes, the calories macros are very similar, just a little bit more. You'll still want to calculate your individual ingredients since things like eggs can vary (egglands best are 60 cals, store brand sometimes 75). There's also a difference in cals for the coco vs cinnamon (60 cals vs 30) etc.

@JohnnyPenso Awesome! I'm glad to hear they came out good. I've been fumbling in the kitchen for weeks trying to get this right lol. I added the PB2 to the mixture to add body, not so much flavor but adding more coco would probably have the same effect.

Just an interesting note looks like Layne norton has a similiar-ish recipe that uses creamcheese as the base and adds more fat and dry powder (also more calories): http://proteinpow.com/2012/08/the-best-low-carb-protein-brownies-in.html

I like the macros on this greek yogurt based recipe better.

@MichSmish Please post feedback if you make this recipe!

I'll keep tweaking based on people's feedback to get it 'just right', but right now this seems to be a pretty good recipe as is. Who'da thunk greek yogurt could cake up like that?
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I've never made sweet potato brownies, but I love black bean brownies. Sweet potato is delicious, though, so maybe I should give that a try.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You should check out Kim Hoeltje's recipes, she makes crazy goods sweets that are incredibly macro friendly and high in protein...they sound almost too good to be true, but they're real!! :Dkimhoeltje.com/recipes/
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    Yes, the calories macros are very similar, just a little bit more. You'll still want to calculate your individual ingredients since things like eggs can vary (egglands best are 60 cals, store brand sometimes 75). There's also a difference in cals for the coco vs cinnamon (60 cals vs 30) etc.

@JohnnyPenso Awesome! I'm glad to hear they came out good. I've been fumbling in the kitchen for weeks trying to get this right lol. I added the PB2 to the mixture to add body, not so much flavor but adding more coco would probably have the same effect.

Just an interesting note looks like Layne norton has a similiar-ish recipe that uses creamcheese as the base and adds more fat and dry powder (also more calories): http://proteinpow.com/2012/08/the-best-low-carb-protein-brownies-in.html

I like the macros on this greek yogurt based recipe better.

@MichSmish Please post feedback if you make this recipe!

I'll keep tweaking based on people's feedback to get it 'just right', but right now this seems to be a pretty good recipe as is. Who'da thunk greek yogurt could cake up like that?
    Today was workout day and I had a ton of calories left after dinner so I mounded up two of them with some Sylt Hjorntron from Ikea in between and 2 tbsp of maple syrup on top. Crazy good. Nice to have the cake part of the dessert lower in calories and high in protein so I can add more maple syrup!
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    I've never made sweet potato brownies, but I love black bean brownies. Sweet potato is delicious, though, so maybe I should give that a try.
    I've used this recipe or slight variations of it with success.

https://plantbasedcookingshow.com/2016/07/10/salt-oil-sugar-gluten-free-vegan-brownies/
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Just some thoughts on the current rendition of the recipe. I'd like to try swapping out the plain yogurt for a nonfat flavored variety (I'm thinking blueberry) using vanilla whey, and swapping out the dry flavor (coco/cinnamon) with a 2tblspns of coconut flour.

Not sure which variation I'll make this weekend, but this is cake enough for me :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to find a really good chocolate cake/brownie recipe to use with my chocolate protein power. I usually make pancakes that come out really well using canned pumpkin. I ordered a bunch of chocolate protein powder that should be here by this Friday. If I can't find a good brownie/cake recipe, I may just have to use the same recipe that I use for pancakes and just swap out the vanilla protein powder for the chocolate.
  • dmsanddollar24
    dmsanddollar24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The recipe I use for Black Bean Brownies is take 1 can of unseasoned black beans and puree them (Beans & juice), then add to a brownie mix (I use the Pillsbury' low-fat). I also chop up some black walnuts for added protein. I bake them in a mini muffin pan for about 13-15 minutes. I let them cool and freeze them so I'm not too tempted. They freeze wonderfully and you can microwave them to thaw or let them set out for a bit.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    The recipe I use for Black Bean Brownies is take 1 can of unseasoned black beans and puree them (Beans & juice), then add to a brownie mix (I use the Pillsbury' low-fat). I also chop up some black walnuts for added protein. I bake them in a mini muffin pan for about 13-15 minutes. I let them cool and freeze them so I'm not too tempted. They freeze wonderfully and you can microwave them to thaw or let them set out for a bit.

This doesn't address macros for me though. The recipes I've been toying with are moderate-high protein.

The current rendition with the yogurt base is pretty good so far and I'll be making more of them.
  • JohnnyPenso
    Options
    I am still trying to find a really good chocolate cake/brownie recipe to use with my chocolate protein power. I usually make pancakes that come out really well using canned pumpkin. I ordered a bunch of chocolate protein powder that should be here by this Friday. If I can't find a good brownie/cake recipe, I may just have to use the same recipe that I use for pancakes and just swap out the vanilla protein powder for the chocolate.
    You could try making a cake with the recipes above. I made the chocolate peanut butter version and it's very soft and moist. Two layers of that, separated by some chocolate frosting and topped with chocolate frosting, would make a nice chocolate cake IMO, very high in protein as well.