Turning 50 with joints of a 100 year old, looking for friends

Options
2»

Replies

• juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    HELP NEEDED! What am I doing wrong? I have logged religiously for the last 18 days and been UNDER my calorie count for the day from 60 to 80% everyday and have exercised more than ever--last week nearly 55000 steps and 608 Intensity Minutes (where the weekly goal is 150 minutes) as per my HR monitor and Fitness Tracker AND I have still gained more than 2 pounds!!!! Not sure that I can exercise more as per my body's reaction! What am I doing wrong? I see everyone else losing pounds and me gaining! What value do Friends/MFP Pals/Connections have on this site? Please talk me off the ledge in that I am VERY discouraged and disappointed in MFP and my lack of progress
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    juanwilly wrote: »
    HELP NEEDED! What am I doing wrong? I have logged religiously for the last 18 days and been UNDER my calorie count for the day from 60 to 80% everyday and have exercised more than ever--last week nearly 55000 steps and 608 Intensity Minutes (where the weekly goal is 150 minutes) as per my HR monitor and Fitness Tracker AND I have still gained more than 2 pounds!!!! Not sure that I can exercise more as per my body's reaction! What am I doing wrong? I see everyone else losing pounds and me gaining! What value do Friends/MFP Pals/Connections have on this site? Please talk me off the ledge in that I am VERY discouraged and disappointed in MFP and my lack of progress

Honestly can't help you much on the food and exercise portion as I don't know what your calories are set at, how far below you're eating. Weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes you gain and then lose, and it's like a graph with ups and downs but should steadily trend down in the long run. Friends..friends are a great support system to cheer you on, pick you up, bounce ideas off and just help you on the journey. I don't think the disappointment should be the fault of MFP.
  • msroni2013
    msroni2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started trying to figure this thing out looking to lose about 30 lbs :)
  • nealjenn
    nealjenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and was diagnosed with RA when I was 25. Keep active daily, watch what I eat and have quit smoking. All combined helps minimize pain but still have the aches that just won't go away... I hear you on the bad joints!!!
  • Fantasypugs
    Fantasypugs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    51 and osteo arthritis of the knee's and spine.
  • Porsche964
    Porsche964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greetings, I'm 58 and have been logging in here for sometime. Would love to join you on this journey so feel free to add me.
    All the best!
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    Bump
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    56 with bone spurs in both big toe joints, making walking, my favorite exercise, and running rather painful, but I still do it. Now I get pain in one of my knees when i overdo--I have a brace I can use, but it's giant and clunky. I've been on MFP for 2 years and maintaining a 28 lb loss, which sort of translates to losing the same last 8 lbs over and over. I have an open diary, log daily, interact with my friends, so feel free to add me.
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    Thanks Zinka61.
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll support you even though I'm way younger. I'm 21 lol
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Zinka61 wrote: »
    56 with bone spurs in both big toe joints, making walking, my favorite exercise, and running rather painful, but I still do it.

Me too! I had one side operated on and the other just left to it's own devices. I've been jogging more lately, in prep for a (short) triathlon. I take a lot of Advil.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One of my 54 year old mfp friends sings the praises of glucosamine with MSM. He said he took a triple dose daily and within a week his creaky joints were happy again. (That's a second-hand rumor, so take it with caution. Do some research before spending money).
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    One of my 54 year old mfp friends sings the praises of glucosamine with MSM. He said he took a triple dose daily and within a week his creaky joints were happy again. (That's a second-hand rumor, so take it with caution. Do some research before spending money).

I've tried that. Does nothing for me. I'm beyond creaky joints. Bone on bone in the knees, FAI surgery on both hips, and now bone spurs in the shoulder causing impingement and severe rotator cuff issues. Ugh! I too don't so moving. I push thru the pain and refuse medication for it.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi,

I've been a mfp member for several years, I log in here daily. I turn 50 in a couple of days and have had, and continue to have joint issues and multiple surgeries. I push on, keep moving and fight the good fight. I'd really love to have some supportive friends...even if you're not in the same boat as me.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Eat your entire daily calorie goal, including the calories you burn from exercise. Your body will not release the weight if you are not fueling it enough.

• yancystreet
    yancystreet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    51 here - would love to have a few motivators as friends - add me all!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Edestiny7 wrote: »
    HELP NEEDED! What am I doing wrong?

Eat your entire daily calorie goal, including the calories you burn from exercise. Your body will not release the weight if you are not fueling it enough.

I think I have seen @Edestiny7 write that elsewhere. It is a unique opinion. My alternative advice is that it almost always comes down to 1) Careful food logging and/or 2) Conservative estimate of exercise calories.

Most people should use the sedentary setting on MFP and set the goal to 1lb per week loss (presuming you want to lose weight).

Turn off the fitbit added calories (unlink the programs). The FitBit estimate can vary a lot depending on what you do. If you take a brisk extended walk you can eat at least some of those. But if you are just working inside a building all day, the step calories may be an overestimate. It also underestimates upper body workouts. The bottom line is that you have to interpret the FitBit estimates yourself.