Vegetarian recipe suggestions please!!!

Options
KittyPandaBunny
KittyPandaBunny Posts: 18 Member
The title says it all really. I don't like meat and am trying to transition to fully vegetarian. I certainly don't eat plain or bland food however I do find myself cooking the same maybe 5 or 6 dishes all the time. Does anyone have any vegetarian recipes they're willing to share? Preferably thing I can make quickly or in bulk.

Also I'm really new here so if anyone wanted to add me, I'd really like some friends!!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans. Goodness gracious how I love rice and beans. You can add almost anything to them, and spice them almost anyway. You can cook it up in mass portion it, and freeze/fridge portions well.

Sometimes I'll get lazy and just down brown rice and a can or two of goya low sodium black bean soup.

You can up the protein by putting in any sort of veggie protein (soy, tofu things), or just have a protein replacement on the side. (rice and beans plus a veggie burger, or a protein shake, etc).
  • GSchro7
    GSchro7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you usually eat? Do you have certain ethnic food that you're partial to?
    There are numerous options, just want to know what your preferences are so I'm not sending you useless recipes.
  • KittyPandaBunny
    Options
    GSchro7 wrote: »
    What kind of food do you usually eat? Do you have certain ethnic food that you're partial to?
    There are numerous options, just want to know what your preferences are so I'm not sending you useless recipes.

I normally eat things like bean chilli, curries, mushroom stew. No real ethnic preference, just lots of flavour!! I'm really willing to try most things. Except anything with avocados. With how hyped up they are, I am mightily disappointed haha :disappointed:
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Make mashed potatoes. In a pan saute garlic, onion & carrots. Ad asparagus & cherry tomatoes put on low until and cover till tomatoes pop open. Serve over mashed potatoes. I uses turkey sausage with this usually but it is good by itself. (You can also use rice instead of potatoes.
  • KittyPandaBunny
    Options
    Do you use tofu? I make a lot of stir fry veggies or tofu with a peanut sauce that is pretty good!

Also, download the food monster app. They have thousands of vegan recipes (I haven't looked for vegetarian) and I get some good ideas.

I've only had tofu when out a couple of times and haven't liked it much because it's so... gooey? Is there a way to cook it so that it isn't like that or does it's texture have to be like that.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out!
  • GSchro7
    GSchro7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you don't like tofu, have you tried paneer (Indian cheese)? It's much firmer than tofu and actually has a slight flavor to it unlike the tofu.
    When I was vegetarian, I made a lot of curries with paneer. Now I make lentils or chickpeas, which are also good options.
  • KittyPandaBunny
    Options
    If you don't like tofu, have you tried paneer (Indian cheese)? It's much firmer than tofu and actually has a slight flavor to it unlike the tofu.
    When I was vegetarian, I made a lot of curries with paneer. Now I make lentils or chickpeas, which are also good options.

Ooh that sounds really good and isn't crazy expensive at my local supermarket. I'll definitely give it a go!
  • saxtonk
    saxtonk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great blogs online to check out. My favs are https://deliciouslyella.com/ , http://minimalistbaker.com/ , http://www.isachandra.com/ , and http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipes-for-athletes/ .
    Isa has a great tofu recipe that you press then marinate and bake...so good!
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We make tofu all the time. You have to get extra firm and press/drain it well. Lentils are a great filler for any meal, as they are crazy fast to make and taste awesome with some seasoning. We also make egg drop soup sometimes with veggie broth. Add mushrooms, peppers, and rice.
  • aimjudson
    aimjudson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love making a big batch of chick pea salad for the week. It adds as a small side for our lunches that are packed in protein and fiber.
    Going to second Thug Kitchen as well, another great cook book is "Oh she glows" vegan as well.

2 cans chick peas (well rinsed)
    1 can of black beans (well rinsed)
    1 bell pepper
    1 small package of cherry tomatoes
    Feta cheese optional
    Tofu optional
    Just toss is a bit of balsamic dressing and your good to go!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Budget Bytes, she has a ton of vegetarian recipes and I've never had a dud from her yet.

I'm not a fan of tofu, and some meat replacements can be iffy, but black beans and chickpeas can go a long way to fill up dishes.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of veggie stir-frys, veggie fajitas, and veggie packed breakfast burritos. I also like soups and stews and never have 2 that are exactly the same because I just toss in whatever I have available or what's in season. If you're looking for specific recipes I love and highly recommend the Oh She Glows blog.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think Pinterest has a ton of ideas. I also like Mark Bittman's book - How to cook everything vegetarian. Most libraries will have it, no pictures, but . I like the Food52 website, they have a whole section of vegetarian recipes. Vegetarian Times as well.
  • smdevos
    smdevos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cookie and Kate has a lot of good vegetarian recipes that are flavorful and veggie-centric:

http://cookieandkate.com/
  • gekeller
    gekeller Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Tofu straight from the container is bland and a little bitter. Press the block of tofu to remove the excess water by putting it on a plate with another plate over it, and put a can or two on the top plate to add some weight. i put the entire thing in the sink for 30 minutes to let the water drain off. I then crumble the tofu for eggless salad, or cut it into cubes or cutlets.

Amazon sells a tofu press that makes it easy.

To take care of the blandness, make a marinade to soak the tofu in. I like soy sauce (or tamari) with some toasted sesame oil, a little honey or mirin, 5 spice powder, chopped ginger and/or chopped garlic. BBQ sauce, or something similar, works well too (Google tofu marinade for recipes). Let it soak for at least 1 hour (overnight is best). Make sure you leave some marinade on the tofu when you bake it. Removing the water seems to make the tofu more absorbent.

I bake the tofu cutlets at 350 until they get a brown glaze (about 50 to 60 minutes), carefully turning them over halfway through baking. The marinade makes the pan sticky, so I either use oiled foil, or a silicone baking sheet. You could also pan fry them in oil. The tofu is very flavorful this way, with an almost custard interior if you serve them right away. They firm up when they cool, like the pressed and flavored tofu you see in the markets, but loose the custard texture.

I do the same kind of thing with 1/2 inch cubes of tofu in a stir fry. Cook them separately in oil and remove from the wok to a paper towel lined plate, then add them to stir fried veggies when you add the seasoning sauce.

Good luck and be creative. Creativity feeds the soul, while the tofu feeds the rest.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    gekeller wrote: »
    Press the block of tofu to remove the excess water by putting it on a plate with another plate over it, and put a can or two on the top plate to add some weight. i put the entire thing in the sink for 30 minutes to let the water drain off. I then crumble the tofu for eggless salad, or cut it into cubes or cutlets.

I usually use a textbook or two on top of my plates to really get the extra water out of there. After thirty minutes, I empty out the bottom plate and put the books back on top. I can usually get about an 8th of a cup more water out of there, which it nice because I marinate it in some soy sauce and add just a touch of moisture back in. Then, I cut it into cubes, season it with whatever ethnic flair I'm going for that day, and bake it until it's pretty crispy.

The main trick to getting good tofu is to buy extra firm and make sure you get the water out of it.

• Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a really good Tofu Tikka Masala recipe that I love to make!

http://kindnesskitchen.ca/tofu-tikka-masala/
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Roasted japanese sweet potato + black beans + parmesan cheese + sunnyside up egg on top = yum!

Pair it with:
    Arugula + extra virgin olive oil + lemon juice + salt/pepper