Is this amount really realistic for me to lose weight?!

Options
charlireah
charlireah Posts: 100 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello

So in the last 4 months I've gained 2 pounds and half an inch in my waist-sounds like nothing but I've always been on a fitness regime and healthy eating and I've been the same weight and measurements for 10 years so this is quite distressing!
Alcohol was 100% the culprit for this gain as I never drink cocktails and have suddenly become in love with them so I have cut cocktails out now.

My fitness pal app tells me I need to eat 1440 calories daily to lose that two pounds for 3 weeks. My normal daily calorie amount is 1600 daily (but all those sugary drinks have clearly messed this up)

I do eat very well and I do gym twice a week and swim once a week as well as walking (commute) 4 times a week.

My details:
5ft 2 112 bust: 33 waist 23.5 hips: 34

Any advice on the best way to safely lose this gain would be ideal! Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Your bust, waist, and hips don't have anything to do with your calorie requirements...your stats such as height, weight, and activity level do.

The calorie target you're getting would suggest that you maintain on about 2,400 calories.
  • charlireah
    Options
    I'd find it hard to believe a petite woman like myself could maintain my weight at 2400. Sounds an awful lot but I suppose I am active. I maintain on 1600 normally but perhaps my body has gotten used to this amount.
  • charlireah
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    Um, it's 2 pounds. Drink some water, have a poop, and relax. You are putting a lot of thought into weight you'll probably lose just by, well... thinking about it.

And it's half an inch on my waist, which means this gain was fat not just water weight or anything else.
  • charlireah
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You are not going to lose 2 lbs of fat per week for 3 weeks at your stats. You will be lucky to lose .5 per week.

That's exactly what I thought. For someone as small as me should I just expect a slow loss?

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »
    Um, it's 2 pounds. Drink some water, have a poop, and relax. You are putting a lot of thought into weight you'll probably lose just by, well... thinking about it.

And it's half an inch on my waist, which means this gain was fat not just water weight or anything else.

i put inche so n everywhere when i retain water....how exactly do you expect your body to retain it without getting larger? it needs to sit somewhere...

Anyway its 2 pounds...go do it and stop talking about it
  • charlireah
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    A goal of half lb a week is more than sufficient. A large quick swing has little of benefit for you.
    You could also keep eating as you always have, ditch the booze, and do some extra strength training for the win!!!

Sounds ideal! I will try cutting it out and add in strength ;) thanks for that!
  • charlireah
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

That's the most unhelpful thing I've ever read in my life
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd find it hard to believe a petite woman like myself could maintain my weight at 2400. Sounds an awful lot but I suppose I am active. I maintain on 1600 normally but perhaps my body has gotten used to this amount.

I'm 5'3" and I maintain on about 2300...I have some weeks where I am highly active and others where I resemble a sloth
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Like pp's mentioned, I would aim to lose 0.5 lb/wk for a month. Adding strength training is always a good idea. :)
  • charlireah
    Options

I'm 5'3" and I maintain on about 2300...I have some weeks where I am highly active and others where I resemble a sloth[/quote]

this is good to know! Thank you! :) I'm glad I could eat more if I needed to!

• Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Most people on this site have a lot more to lose than 2 lbs but you are catching this gain before it becomes an issue. You're also coming here for advice instead of trying an apple cider vinegar cleanse or something, so good on you!

Just be aware that if you add in more weight training you may see an initial increase in weight due to water retention, but after that goes away you will likely see a reduction in your overall size. Just wanted to mention that so you don't get discouraged in case it happens.

Good luck!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    just stop drinking cocktails for a few weeks....easy peasy
    7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting. Google Dr Jason Fung for more information. It's beyond simple and the efficacy is backed by a numerous studies too boot.
  • charlireah
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    just stop drinking cocktails for a few weeks....easy peasy

So true! Haha
  • charlireah
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Most people on this site have a lot more to lose than 2 lbs but you are catching this gain before it becomes an issue. You're also coming here for advice instead of trying an apple cider vinegar cleanse or something, so good on you!

Just be aware that if you add in more weight training you may see an initial increase in weight due to water retention, but after that goes away you will likely see a reduction in your overall size. Just wanted to mention that so you don't get discouraged in case it happens.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The calorie target you're getting would suggest that you maintain on about 2,400 calories.

That's not how I read her statement. She said that 1440 calories/day would let her lose 2 pounds in 3 weeks. Since that would mean a loss of 2/3 pound per week and that's not an option in the MFP settings, I suspect there's a typo there. She probably meant to say it would let her lose the weight in either 2 weeks (1 pound/week) or 4 weeks (0.5 pounds/week). If that's the 0.5 pounds/week number, her maintenance would be 1690 calories/day - consistent with her report of typically eating 1600 (and her small stature). If she's sedentary, that number sounds about right.