exercising with children

Options
hello

sorry if this topic has been gone over before but looking for some advice

my daughter who is almost 6years old is asking to come out with me on my c25k run - I am still on the early stages.

I don't know why I feel weird about it as we go cycling together a lot as well but I have this idea that I will be judged for taking my daughter out running with me - even though she wants too ! I would never force her into something she didn't want to do! she is quite athletic at school and participates in the gym and school clubs

has anyone done this before?

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I see kids running with their parents all the time. Races have fun runs just for kids in my area. In have seen 6 and 7 year olds complete 5ks! I say go for it!
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    right so I am going to do it!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If your daughter is 6 then no offense she probably has way more energy than you ever could, and running a 5k will seem like a walk in the park to her.
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If your daughter is 6 then no offense she probably has way more energy than you ever could, and running a 5k will seem like a walk in the park to her.

lol none taken - its just none of the kids in my area seem to do very much and the parents are the judgemental!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've been beaten by 6 year olds in the 2 5Ks I've run! ;) I know I've been beaten by kids under 13.

I would only caution you that she might frustrate you. Running with my then 11 year old was maddening because she'd vary her pace, then want to walk, then sprint, then be tired, etc. You may also end up feeling you're not getting the best workout. Also, try to keep her from running all out so she doesn't tire out early. Keep her pace, listen to her, make sure she has good shoes and go from there.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Run a 5k with a 6-year old? Great idea! Remember that this is their race, not yours. Run at their speed. If they need a break, take a break. If they need a snack, give them one. And be ready to carry them at any time. If I can carry a 10 year old on my back through a 10k you can carry a 6 year old through 5k. If you can't, then don't run the race.

I work out with my kids, now 12-years old, almost every day. They frequently bug me to workout more with them. I will share with you my rules of thumb:

1) Child safety is job one. You need to think as if you have child safety written in big bold letters across your forehead. Everything you do needs to be considered in light of safety. This requirement is not flexible.
    2) Meet them on their turf. Select or modify the exercise so that it is developmentally accessible to them. For example, little kids need frequent breaks and snacks.
    3) Make it fun. Kids learn when they are having fun. For a 2-year old this may involve letting them be 'the monster' and chasing you around a field. For a 4-year old it may involve thunderous applause every time they catch a ball. For a 12-year old it may involve handing them a quarter every time they beat you at wind sprints (let them). And so on. Most kids care far less about winning than having fun. Who cares if you win the game if you turn the sport into aversion therapy? If you make exercise fun they will love you for it and learn to enjoy exercise their whole lives.
    4) Give them unconditional love and support, and never hold your love for them hostage to their performance. Children may be afraid of trying new things or have issues of self-confidence. Children worry that they'll disappoint you or that they'll lose your love if they don't perform well. Put yourself in the position of soothing rather than exacerbating their fears.
    5) Positive coaching. Use 'the sandwich technique' when coaching. If you need to make a suggestion, such as, "It might help if you face in the direction of the ball when playing soccer," make sure to surround it with three positive statements, e.g., "You are really enjoying yourself out here," or "My, but you have picked a huge pile of grass...you must be very proud." It may sound silly, but the efficacy of the sandwich technique is supported by a huge amount of empirical data holds true all the way up to Olympic champions.
    6) Set an example. Children are relentless observers and will learn as much from what you do as what you say. Make sure to behave in a sportsmanlike manner at all times. Try to get yourself in shape. You don't have to be in great shape, but they need to see you try.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My 8 and 9 year old want to run the Parkrun (5k) on Saturday with me - they want to register so they even get timed. There are usually quite a few children running every week - and normally overtaking me too.

My 14 year old runs with me in the evening and we have entered events together. My pic is of us after a Color Run last Sunday.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem to taking you kid with you to something that's appropriate and beneficial for them ..
    It's a good example for them. I'd take her.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do one mile fun runs with my 3 year old...I'm sure he'll be blowing my doors off in 5K races when he's 6. My excuse will be that I triathlon so don't have the time to dedicate just to running...LOL
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I run with my nieces and nephews all the time. Do be aware that you might have to scale back or turn around early. Just consider it your warm up or bonus run.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do one mile fun runs with my 3 year old...I'm sure he'll be blowing my doors off in 5K races when he's 6. My excuse will be that I triathlon so don't have the time to dedicate just to running...LOL

What? Your 3 year old can run a mile? Need video proof of this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I would go out with her first and see where she's at. My 5 year old has the most energy I've ever seen, is extremely athletic, but at his age has a hard time running 4 blocks straight.
  • idahomommy
    idahomommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it's great she wants to run with you.

1. It shows you're being a great role model!
    2. It is a great way to teach her the importance and fun of exercising and focusing on her abilities instead of her looks!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have a friend whose daughter rides her bike with her while she runs but I'm sure she'd be open to having her run right alongside her.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i think its great! kids deserve to be healthy too ! running is great for blood flow
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    1007.jpg
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The people judging you for running with your kid are (part of) the reason we have an obesity epidemic. My not quite three year old comes down and "lifts" with me when I work out. I have an 8 lb bar that she bench presses and she gets thrilled with that. Her pediatrician is thrilled that my wife and I are setting a good exercise example for her.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Running is ok. I run with my 3 year old.

Yoga, maybe not so much..

bmyoga00973994.jpg
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Absolutely! My 2 and 4 year old have endless energy - they can play in soft play for over 2 hours, go on their scooters, run around for an hour on the seafront, and still not be tired. I reckon they could run a 5k!

My daughter at around 16months could do this :
    100_7628.jpg
    open source screen capture

I think people are more likely to be judged for NOT taking their kids out to get some exercise!
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i ran a 10k race last fall, and there was a little girl (probably 5) running the 5 k with her dad. It was adorable. No judgment. You're teaching her good habits!