Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Is ice cream raw?
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cleanses, "jump starts," etc., are not needed for weight loss - skip looking for a quick fix and take the time to educate yourself on CICO. That will set you up for long-term success.
  • Rajions
    Rajions Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cleanses, "jump starts," etc., are not needed for weight loss - skip looking for a quick fix and take the time to educate yourself on CICO. That will set you up for long-term success.

I'm already following CICO. It was just a thought on maybe going the "healthier" route.. idk..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »

I'm already following CICO. It was just a thought on maybe going the "healthier" route.. idk..

nothing wrong with going "healthier" but raw doesnt mean its healthier than any other way of eating "healthy".you still have to watch calories though to lose weight.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Some people do maintain a raw diet for a very long time and swear by it. For me, it's too restrictive and if you want to do it well you need to be so careful and track everything. You'd need to eat a lot of food to get enough calories which for some is a plus but I wouldn't want to be eating that much food. You'd need to eat lots of nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil etc too. Perhaps you could just plan to eat more raw meals as part of a lifestyle change, rather than over doing it for 2 weeks and stopping.
  • fayehiggins2017
    fayehiggins2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend swears by raw broccoli and cauliflower but it's not her diet. She's just weird and prefers it raw. Each to their own haha. I tried them raw and whilst not too bad they lack their flavour
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My friend swears by raw broccoli and cauliflower but it's not her diet. She's just weird and prefers it raw. Each to their own haha. I tried them raw and whilst not too bad they lack their flavour

I love raw broccoli and cauliflower both in my salads or by themselves with a bit of hummus or lemon. So good.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How do you think this would benefit you?

I think for many people, this would result in a lot of hunger and probably some completely temporary water weight loss that would come back on as soon as the week was over.

As opposed to just eating a diet made up of multiple foods (that help you meet your needs for protein and fat), I'm not sure what the benefit of this would be?

I've just been hearing about this raw food diet and it seemed so simple to lose weight. I'm trying to lose 90 pounds.

It's completely unnecessary. All you need to do to lose weight is set up myfitnesspal and eat the calories that it gives you. No need to cut anything out of your diet, and no need to go super low calorie, either.
  • rsipock
    rsipock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It isn't really such a big deal as people are making it out to be. When I did it, I just ate like I always eat, but raw. E.g., bowl of turnip greens and a raw porterhouse steak. As a matter of fact, I still eat my steaks raw. They are so tender that way. It was something that stuck with me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I sure people would lose weight very quickly if they ate raw pork and chicken.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go on a raw food diet remember that it will be a shock to your system and will make you sicj to begin with and if you change to eating cooked food again you will have problems then also. Depending on the person it will last only weeks or several months until your body adjust to the new diet. Also remember that cooked food is easier to chew and digest.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of fat raw vegans. It's not a diet, it's a way of eating.
  • ButICouldNeverBeRaw
    ButICouldNeverBeRaw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a high raw/some days fully raw foodist. I eat over 2,000+ calories per day and hit 90%+ RDI of macronutrients and micronutrients. I feel better than ever! Feel free to friend me.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i tried it a while back. I did it for about 6 months. i was big into juicing so a lot of the books i read associated juicing with the raw diet. I juiced vegetables and fruit, and ate salads with seared, rare beef or sashimi. there are certain temperatures you can cook beef and fish to, and it's still considered "raw". there is raw cheese too. I didn't really do it for weight loss, I had read a bunch of books about it and it seemed healthy. But I found that it's not necessary for me to eat this way, for any reason.
    I think after about 6 months, I really wanted a chicken wing, and that wasn't going to work as raw :smiley:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's VERY hard to get your protein on a raw food diet while still staying within calories. Part of observing the rules of Lent included going raw for quite a few days a week. I knew it was coming and I was bracing for it, but here are the results:

m5n236ejjitt.png

I know people don't believe in the accuracy of body fat scales, but regardless of how accurate the exact number is, the direction of the trend can be a reliable indicator. I had managed to maintain my lean body mass for the past year, until Lent. You can see my overall average started dropping significantly in the last two months and I was eating raw only 3 days a week. Lower lean body mass means muscle loss. If you consider muscle loss healthy, then go for it. It's harder than you think to have your nutrition on par when you're eating raw.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think if you are interested in changing your diet to be healthier or if you have ethical inclinations to veganism (you can do both, but they are not the same), those are great things to do and to combine with weight loss, and eating in a way you care about for reasons besides weight loss CAN make it easier, IMO.

However, I find it distressing that people don't know much about nutrition so tend to assume that things like drinking only juice or shakes or eating only fruit and veg or eating only raw=good nutrition. Better to read about what good nutrition entails and focus on a balanced diet with adequate protein, healthy fats, AND lots of vegetables and some fruit, if that is what appeals to you, and not to assume that cooking is contrary to health -- even with vegetables cooking can make some nutrients more accessible, so I think it's ideal to eat a diverse amount and also to eat some cooked, some raw, if you enjoy both.

This is NOT a slam on you at all, but a complaint about how these fad diets get pushed based on really bad health claims, including by various diet gurus (and terrible people like Freelee and Dr. Oz and so on, depending).
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Looking at your discussion post past, you seem to be developing unhealthy unsustainable habits when it comes to weight loss. You're working out fasted despite getting chills and shaky after your workouts and you're using preworkouts and green tea fat burners. Honestly your body can only take so much, and it can only lose so much weight in a healthy manner. On top of that you previously expressed fear of relapsing into binge eating, and this severe restriction will only enhance your desire to binge.
  • Rajions
    Rajions Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Looking at your discussion post past, you seem to be developing unhealthy unsustainable habits when it comes to weight loss. You're working out fasted despite getting chills and shaky after your workouts and you're using preworkouts and green tea fat burners. Honestly your body can only take so much, and it can only lose so much weight in a healthy manner. On top of that you previously expressed fear of relapsing into binge eating, and this severe restriction will only enhance your desire to binge.

Those were all just questions. I haven't started the pre-workout nor am I fasted exercising anymore. I eat now before I workout and don't get the chills. I do still take the green tea pills. The last week of Insanity was very hard and I was ready to quit and eat everything, but I found a new workout plan that is much easier. I never did all of that stuff in one setting. They were based on different experiences I had in the past.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love just walking right up to a cow and gnawing on it. No more processed steaks for me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stop looking for quick fixes... if you are consistently eating in a deficit you will lose weight!