I lost 4lbs in one week. Is that the unhealthy way to lose weight?

Options
I've done 4 days of vigorous exercise. When I weighed myself, I noticed that I lost 4lbs and that's a lot! I aim to lose 1.5 to 2lbs per week.

Replies

• cthoma19
    cthoma19 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 9.4lbs my first week with no xercise, just change in my diet. It may have been water weight.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Me too but I also gave up scotch & beer. As long as you are not going way under on calories I wouldn't worry about it. When the loss is too much you will usually feel very weak and exercise will feel really slow and unmotivated.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    It is probably water weight. Next week you may find yourself gaining. Don't worry about it. When I did Atkins several years ago I lost 14 pounds the first two weeks. It took over a month before I lost any more.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My first two weeks I lost 6 and 4 lbs; it was likely all water weight. Weight loss will fluctuate week to week, just be sure you are getting the calories and nutrients you need.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do the happy dance and when weight loss slows remember this day.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The goo sloshing around inside you can vary more day to day than the pound or two you're looking to lose per week. In other words, it's hard to tell from just two measurements. You've gotta keep measuring and watch the trend that emerges.

This also means you shouldn't get too discouraged when your weight jumps up or stays flat for a while. In particular menstruating women will gain some pounds before our cycle starts and then lose them a few days to a week later.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You couldn't have reduced your calorie intake by that much. To lose 4 pounds in 4 days means you would have had to drop 14,000 calories over 4 days. that translates to cutting back your calories to 3500 less than you normally eat per day.

Probably water loss. What you have to also remember is that weight loss is not linear. also your weight is going to vary from day to day based on a whole bunch of factors. I have access to scales at work and during the day my weight can vary by as much as five pounds
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you have a lot to lose, then no it may be ok. When I started, I set my MFP goals to 2 pounds a week, ate the recommended calories (in healthy foods) but I was losing 3-5 a week for the first 2 months. Lost 50 pounds in 6 months. My goal was 95-115 pounds total, so it worked and was fine for me but if you only have 30 pohnds to lose, it should be much slower.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    This week I've lost 5lbs. Last MONTH I only lost 4lbs. The infamous "weight loss is not linear" will pop up constantly. Enjoy yr loss this week. Next week maybe the same, no loss, increase in weight or more of a loss.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lbs in my first week, I think if youve been eating a huge amount of calories than drop it to a deficit you will have a big loss the first few weeks, some fat some water weight. I am now between 2-3lbs a week