STRONG CURVES

Options
Looking for accountability buddies while I start my Strong Curves journey. Starting Monday. People who have previously done it are welcome here too! I need some advice! :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have specific questions?
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do you have specific questions?

Yes, regarding the warm up, I know it says to spend 10-15 minutes on it but how much time/reps per exercise? Also having trouble following the Exercise index for modifications of things I cannot do since only have home gym. For example, lat pull down and hyperextensions. Is there an easy way to find these in exercise index.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Warm up is kind of a personal decision. I generally warm up with 10 minutes of walking or on a bike, then I do some stretching, then I do 2-3 warm up sets for the first few exercises. Other people go straight to warm up sets.

For warm up sets, I do one set of 5-10 at 40-50% of my working weight, one set of 5 at 60-70%, one set of 3 at 75-80%. Once in awhile I'll do one rep at 90%.

Lat pulldowns--look for vertical pulls in the book. Hyperextensions--at home I do these:

https://youtu.be/DnjXAAr29Lc
  • josiereside1
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • josiereside1
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Warm up is kind of a personal decision. I generally warm up with 10 minutes of walking or on a bike, then I do some stretching, then I do 2-3 warm up sets for the first few exercises. Other people go straight to warm up sets.

For warm up sets, I do one set of 5-10 at 40-50% of my working weight, one set of 5 at 60-70%, one set of 3 at 75-80%. Once in awhile I'll do one rep at 90%.

Lat pulldowns--look for vertical pulls in the book. Hyperextensions--at home I do these:

https://youtu.be/DnjXAAr29Lc

There is nothing indicating lateral pulls in my book.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For workout substitutions, there is a page number on the exercise, if you go there in the index find a similar exercise that works the same muscles in the same category. For example, if you don't have a lat pulldown machine, you can do chin-ups or pull-ups (assisted or negatives if you cannot do unassisted). If you don't have a pull-up bar, you may have to substitute a horizontal pull exercise.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For workout substitutions, there is a page number on the exercise, if you go there in the index find a similar exercise that works the same muscles in the same category. For example, if you don't have a lat pulldown machine, you can do chin-ups or pull-ups (assisted or negatives if you cannot do unassisted). If you don't have a pull-up bar, you may have to substitute a horizontal pull exercise.

For some reason I was struggling to find a substitute because they all seem advanced. I cannot do a pull up to save my life. I have 2 bands used but I can barely do 3 or so so was hoping for a somewhat easier option or I guess I can just struggle to get in as many reps as I am able even if not what is called for in that particular set.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    You can also try eccentric or negative pull-ups/chin ups. Basically you get into the top position (I use a bench to get myself up) then you lower yourself slowly toward the bottom of the movement. Again, do as many as you can and keep trying to improve. Just keep at and you will eventually get stronger. I started off with negatives and banded and finally was able to do them unassisted over time.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    You can also try eccentric or negative pull-ups/chin ups. Basically you get into the top position (I use a bench to get myself up) then you lower yourself slowly toward the bottom of the movement. Again, do as many as you can and keep trying to improve. Just keep at and you will eventually get stronger. I started off with negatives and banded and finally was able to do them unassisted over time.

I have been doing those too although not as consistently as banded... will add them back in although I struggle just as much with them.. my body swings too much when I jump up...
  • sardelsa
    Options

I have been doing those too although not as consistently as banded... will add them back in although I struggle just as much with them.. my body swings too much when I jump up...

Rather than jumping into position try putting a bench or stool just next to the pull-up bar so you can get up but give yourself enough space to lower without hitting it with your feet
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Ps not sure if you are already a member but there is a fantastic group you can join, great if you have any more questions and see how others are getting along with the program:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113531-strong-curves-by-bret-contreras-and-kellie-davis-ladies-only
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't do the program but I took a few of Bret's money lifts and my *kitten* is huge.
  • josiereside1
    Options
    Ps not sure if you are already a member but there is a fantastic group you can join, great if you have any more questions and see how others are getting along with the program:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113531-strong-curves-by-bret-contreras-and-kellie-davis-ladies-only

I did look for one but did not see an active group.. maybe I missed this one... thanks