Scales don't agree?

Options
My old scale (new-ish battery, only about a month old) and my new scale don't agree about how much I weigh. I tested them against each other when I first bought the new one and they were pretty close. This morning, they gave me readings that were like 3.5 lbs apart! I didn't end up logging any weight because I don't know which to trust. WWYD?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Try weighing with one foot on each scale. If they still don't match, it means your diet is unbalanced. :/

This^^ or pick the new scale. Donate the old one.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Try weighing with one foot on each scale. If they still don't match, it could mean your diet is unbalanced. :/

Made me laugh. :D
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Put something with a known weight on the scales to see which one is closer. You could take them to a feed store and compare them to a scale there. Their scales have to be calibrated for sales.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My old scale (new-ish battery, only about a month old) and my new scale don't agree about how much I weigh. I tested them against each other when I first bought the new one and they were pretty close. This morning, they gave me readings that were like 3.5 lbs apart! I didn't end up logging any weight because I don't know which to trust. WWYD?

Assuming the reason you bought the new scale is because the old one was faulty, it makes sense to use the weight from the new one.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try weighing something you know to be a certain weight like say a new bag of dog/cat food. If its supposed to weigh 10 lbs or whatever, weigh it on each scale... go with the one that matches the weight of the bag of whatever it is your weighing.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you have weights? Maybe try placing a 5 pound weight on each one (I saw someone do this on YouTube) and the one that gives the correct number you can use.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you have weights? Maybe try placing a 5 pound weight on each one (I saw someone do this on YouTube) and the one that gives the correct number you can use.

This is probably a much better way of doing it then my way.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Same thing I have with my various scales ... up to 3 different ones and each weighs in slightly differently side by side. That just goes to show that weight can be a relative thing ... I keep striving to achieve that weight were 5 pounds either way won't send me into a spin. Matter of fact, I'm working on a weight that it won't matter if I get weighed with all my clothes and shoes on because me weight will still be a good one to have.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    JEE2015 wrote: »

This is probably a much better way of doing it then my way.

I think your way was pretty spot on as well if you have weights for things you can try it on the scale cat food bags, etc and the one that gives you the number can be used.

I love how everyone is sharing awesome ideas! :smile:
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No 2 scales unless they're highly calibrated. To put things in perspective, I went to the doctor's today his scale told me I weigh 204. Later on I went to the gym, that one told me I wait about 210.

The other thing you want to be consistent about is under what conditions you weigh yourself. To put things in perspective I have access to calibrated scales at workperiod I've weighed myself during different times of the day and what I found out is my weight can vary by as much as five pounds during the course of the day. What you have to remember is your weight will fluctuate depending on a whole bunch of factors. It's just a matter of being consistent how and when you weigh yourself