I think I'm loosing weight too fast

Options
Dear all,

I just started MFP last friday, though I have been on weight watchers before and changing food habits isn't such an issue. I came here to get a better overview of what I eat, and I would like to go down from 152lbs to 132lbs (I'm 5'7, 23yrs) and get rid of my belly and hips. I didn't feel I was eating too much as I eat relatively clean and it helps that I am not a fan of chocolate. But I felt I was eating wrongly- i.e. I ate enough but I always felt sweaty and exhausted after dinner (usually pasta) and I am a bad sleeper. So far, MFP has helped me seeing that possibly the high-carb food style is causing the problem, so I changed that, and it's been working great.

I've just had my first good night of sleep in 3 weeks, and since I like weighing myself daily, I stepped on and I am 145lbs already. I also got my period over a week early (I am on contraception) and when doing my bicep curls yesterday (17lbs each), I could only do half of what I normally do.

Now I know that part of it is caused by my lack of sleep, but my weight loss is starting to worry me. I had hoped to achieve my goal within 2 months, but this doesn't seem right? My diary is open for you and I would be grateful for any comments. NB: I did eat too little 2 days ago, but that was due to the fact that I went to bed at 9 pm after dinner (and being full), whereas I normally stay up for another 3-5 hours.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for there to be a dramatically large weight loss the first week, this is primarily due to losing a ton of water weight initially. I wouldn't worry after just one week but if your next weigh in shows another large loss, you might want to take a look and make sure that, for starters, you have set your weight loss per week goal at just 0.5 to 1 pound per week, not 2 pounds per week - with only 20 pounds to lose, 2 lbs/week is not realistic nor healthy. By setting MFP down to 0.5lbs/week you'll be given more calories to eat, slowing your loss to something rational and sustainable.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for there to be a dramatically large weight loss the first week, this is primarily due to losing a ton of water weight initially. I wouldn't worry after just one week but if your next weigh in shows another large loss, you might want to take a look and make sure that, for starters, you have set your weight loss per week goal at just 0.5 to 1 pound per week, not 2 pounds per week - with only 20 pounds to lose, 2 lbs/week is not realistic nor healthy. By setting MFP down to 0.5lbs/week you'll be given more calories to eat, slowing your loss to something rational and sustainable.

Thank you for your response!
    So are you saying that the closer you are to your ideal weight, the slower you should be going? I didn't know!
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same problem. I hit my weight loss goal of 68 kg. and then only upped my calories a little bit, but within the last month and a half, I dropped another 3 kg. I live in London, so I don't have a car, so I end up commuting and walking a bit, but I work at a desk job. I'm 65 kg. now and 5 ft. 10 in. I also stopped my serious athletic sports, due to too much injury over the last 15 years, so lost a lot of muscle. I eat very clean, lots of whole foods and my other half is a fine-dining chef, so we cook really well. Once a week I have about 5 small biscuits (cookies) within my calorie limit and once every 3 weeks I have a treat that is about 700 calories over my limit, such as pizza, etc. Have a look at my diary too and let me know what you think. I'm with you on not sure how to stop losing weight too fast, but I'm absolutely terrified of putting the weight back on again.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP my weight loss was dramatic at first but it soon slowed down so enjoy the fast loss while it lasts, fast weight loss at the start is normal so don't worry.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I lost 5stone in 4months, now that too fast. Kept it off but still. As already said you're likely to lose more early on due to your body suddenly waking up due to increase in exercise and better food intake, it will settle down.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Thank you for your response!
    So are you saying that the closer you are to your ideal weight, the slower you should be going? I didn't know!

I am saying exactly that :). That said however, I did go look at your diary and while most days you are meeting the bare 1200 calorie minimum, you are chronically under-eating your goal by several hundred calories. That's not such a good plan in the long run... what happens when you get to the point where you want to maintain your weight at 132 and you have no idea how to eat enough to accomplish that? Meeting your daily goals is like practice for maintenance (it's called a GOAL for a reason, you are supposed to HIT IT, not see how far under you can be). Definitely work harder at meeting your goal, including eating back most (about 50-70%) of the calories you earn from exercise.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Judging from your diary, your lunches are a bit small. It's such a fine line between weight loss and too much weight loss. I found I lost weight quickly at the beginning, then slow in the middle and then again at the very end.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    You have a perfect storm going on .. one - getting sleep is part of the the formula to maintaining a healthy weight. I, too, gave up the carbs like pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. It is amazing how sleep,how many calories and the macros of what you eat impact your energy level.

You are in a very good weight zone right now. I am 5'8" and weigh 128 now.. but honestly,it's just because I feel good at this weight . I agree withPhrick, reset you weight loss goal down from 2 pounds to 1 pound per week, and then as you get even closer to your goal, go down to 0.5 pounds per week. I lost the first 36 pounds in 3 months, it took another 3 months to lose the last 10. I now realize that the slow progress on losing the last 10 pounds help me set very good habits for maintaining, I just passed my one year anniversary of maintaining the lowest weight of my adult life! (I am 54 years old)

Good for you on your current success! And good for you on working out! Keep up the great work.
  • lindustum
    Options
    Thank you again!

I am not competing for "how far I can go under", but yes I struggle to "hit" it- since I don't want to go over, and a single pot of yogurt or a slice of toast with salami can up it from 1100 to 1300. I guess I have to stop being so pedantic about that particular number, especially since it is a goal and not the dead-maximum.

That helped me a lot, thank you!

@pkw58 thank you :) I will change my goals asap.

Edit: changing it to 1lb/w moved the goal up to 1300. I guess that gives me some breathing room to enjoy my beloved meat.
  • lindustum
    Options
    Okay this isn't working. Thank you all for responding, and I just wanted to reply because after upping my intake to 1300, I am struggling.

I don't eat enough. I have found nice recipes and I enjoy the change in diet and I am not planning to go on some McD's craze (yuck)- but all these people saying they eat healthily at 1200- I can't cope. I need a steak sometimes. Something.. other than just vegs. I can lift heavy (relatively, for a woman) without much exercise, and I have a lot of muscle. I can do a squat with my 15 stone boyfriend on my back. Neither 1200 or 1300 are gonna cut it.

I get hungry in bed, and I sweat a lot from exhaustion. I have been trying to read up on how to calculate my needs, but the search function is limited and I have literally spend 3+ hours searching for answers- maybe someone of similar weight/height/goals has a tip?

I tried to calculate my TDEE, which suggests (Katch-McCardle, 3 days a week exercise) 1995. I have to take away 20%, so roughly 1800kcals for me per day? Using the BMR, (1400 odd) times 1.3 for exercise arrives at just over 2000.

I am starting the 30Day Slim down today, and I want to lift. I lifted 17lbs biceps without any problems, and since the 1200/1300 limit I can barely do anything. I want muscle and tone, not be skinny.

I read that "sedentary lifestyle" is wrong even if you're on a desk job, if you exercise otherwise regularly (which I do). I didn't just start to exercise- I did 3-4 a week of 45 min stationary bike and 15 lifting. I assume I should adjust my "lifestyle" setting?

Sorry for being so confused, there are so many measures and issues, I don't know what to do- just that I want to stop starving and start lifting!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you want to go by TDEE just pick a calculator and go with it. If the one you chose said your TDEE WITH exercise is 1995 and you have 13 lbs to lose try taking a 10% or 15% cut since you're under 20 lbs from goal.

As for not eating enough, avoid the low fat or non-fat food options. Have your yogurt, milk, and cheese, but go full fat. You'll add a decent amount of calories that way without upping your food amounts.

If you work a desk job MFP sets at sedentary. You should be logging all of your exercise to that and eating the majority of it back. My understanding of sedentary on MFP is that it should include normal daily activity like getting dressed, getting to work, etc.
  • lindustum
    Options
    I have used http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and they all come up with similar numbers- 1950-2050. So I guess that is probably somewhat accurate. Some ask for BF, which I believe is at 26%.

I will try to eat 1600-1800 then, depending on the day I guess. Thank you for your help- I'd be lost!