Need advice - cutting

Calscott86
Calscott86 Posts: 27 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss

I'm pretty sure I need to start cutting but I have a fear of becoming small and skinny. I'm currently 205 lbs with a 23% body fat and I am 5'9

I've neve cut before but I know I need to.

I started working out again 2 weeks ago after recovering from an injury- prior to this it's been almost a year

Replies

• Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    If your biggest concern is that you don't want to lose muscle, you may want to try a recomp instead of cutting. To do a recomp you would eat at maintenance while adding strength training to convert fat into muscle.

If you still feel like you need a cut, a slow and gradual process is the best way to lose weight (fat) without losing much muscle. So maybe consider eating your MFP maintaince calorie number, adding some cardio (and ideally strebgth training as well) and then don't eat back your exercise calories. A plan like that should result in a small calorie deficit, allowing you to lose weight slowly but preserve muscle
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Haha this gets me every time. I work with students in grades 7-12, so the word cutting means something very different to me. Everytime I see it in a title my heart sinks because I think someone is struggling with self harming and I click on it hoping to provide encouragement. Anyway, glad to see it's the healthy cutting! I have zero insight for you, but best of luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    If you're concerned, start by choosing a small deficit for a half lb per week loss and see how it goes.

I know some people prefer very dramatic bulk/ cut cycles, but there is a psychological component to each option and you have to find a plan you are comfortable with.