“Great offers on beer and cider. Good Friday just got better.”

Options
TARGET65K
TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
That is a quote from a leading British supermarket advertisement. I am a atheist and find it offensive. What do you think ?

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As an atheist myself, I wouldn't say it as I would see it as belittling others' beliefs, because I explicitly identify as non-Christian. If I was Christian still, I probably wouldn't care.

The UK is traditionally Christian with intertwined church and government, and jokes like this are the flip side of cultural Christianity. I would never use one of the Hindu pantheon to curse by when I drop something, but I grew up in a culture shaped by Christianity and that is what comes to the fore when I've stubbed my toe.

Similarly, the majority of people I know may not go to church, but they have loose Christian beliefs, Christian heritage and would tick Christianity on forms, and they would be fine with this ad. In a nutshell, it's the difference between having in-jokes between friends and making fun of outsiders.

Christianity won't gain the same automatic protection from mockery as other, tinier religions enjoy in the UK until she becomes less relevant to modern British society. That would mean separating church and state, including removing the Church of England Bishops who sit in the House of Lords (the UK's upper chamber of parliament), and the monarchy no longer heading up the Church of England, and changing the laws on Christian worship in schools.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Would that same super market have had an ad like that on a Muslim holiday? "Mohammad likes his beer cold and served by virgins".
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Jesus loves wine.

Cider...not as much.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

France is Europe. England attempted to be leader of Europe and the world many a time and was never at the helm. However, something like the French rev and Franco-concepts... they transcend a 1000 years and penetrate every other culture.

Maybe because they take every war off.