Prone-to-bingeing buddies

Options
I have a history of binge-eating, and have recently really been struggling with it. I was hoping to make some friends here that also have been having trouble staying on track lately. Hold each other accountable, keep each other in check? Thanks!

Replies

• ygritteanderson
    ygritteanderson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also prone to binge eating. Its something i tend to do late at night when no one can see the behavior. I've only just started talking to my husband of 7 yrs about it in the last week..and not in too much detail.... I'll admit i even had to push myself to reply here. It's something that causes alot of shame and confusion..like why do i do this..why can't i stop?.. I guess since my teenage years this has always been an off and on issue...and I'm in my 30's now. I got very sick 5 years ago and was unable to work for most of that time. I think these last 5 years it has really gotten out of control. This is my second time using MFP to try to keep myself in check. I tried it last year around this time but didn't stick with it for very long. So here i am again. I'm commited to no cheat days this time ( days where i don't track). Maybe on rough days seeing how many calories are in a binge session....not that i don't already understand how unhealthy it is...maybe it will help motivate me. I've struggled with other addictions in my past and feel like I've got past them all. I need to work on this one now as i think its been my replacement for other unhealthy behaviors. Anyways, i hope my reply is something you can relate to and causes you to feel supported and not alone. I would be happy to get a friend request from you and maybe we could motivate eachother on this journey to a better healthier relationship with food. T.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm really sorry for your struggles. But it's great that you've started to talk about it and try to change. Binge eating is harmful not only physically, but mentally as well, I've found. The guilt and shame that comes with it is something I try very hard to step away from...and it doesn't always work.

Seeing a professional to discuss this issue might help, but I'd also be happy to be buddies with you on MFP to together work towards a healthier relationship with food--which is something I definitely struggle with. Friend request sent :smile:
  • smklong
    smklong Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I've had ups and downs with it for a decade. Talking to a pro helped but Holidays kill me for some reason... like I already ate too much why not?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too. I typically keep trigger foods out of the house or buy them in single portion packs, which helps. It's really hard for people to understand, so I'm hopeful your spouse(s) are helpful. Mine doesn't judge or shame, but he truly doesn't understand how (or why) I eat a half dozen frozen yogurt bars in the middle of the night. And frankly, I don't either. But I sometimes feel powerless to stop myself.
  • JasperMosley
    JasperMosley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with it too. My binging is triggered by my depression and anxiety, so I binge fairly often. That, culminated with my lack of exercise, I've gained over 30 lbs., and am currently the heaviest I've ever been. It's really messing with my head. However, I've been talking to a therapist and am trying to get help for my binge eating, among other things. Feel free to add me, and we can support one another =)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I don't want to post in this thread because I don't want to be prone to binge eating :)

I have struggled with that a lot in the past. Sometimes purging, sometimes just eating until I was sick. A few times I came close to killing myself b/c I stuffed myself until I passed out vommitting. It is a serious mental disorder.

I have not had an episode in many months. I don't want to admit that they will happen in the future. I'd rather just tell myself it's a problem of the past. I just gotta stay away from stress. Too much stress and I wig out.
  • annobrien998
    annobrien998 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am.a binge eater could do with.others to help so anyone want to add me
  • Saaski
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. It's a really hard, extra challenge we all face. I sent requests to you all; hopefully we can help support each other.
  • kanakapride
    kanakapride Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Man I am glad I found this thread, I binge eat when I'm bored or if my anxiety is out of wack.
  • Saaski
    Options
    @kanakapride Yeah, I am definitely a bored-binge-er. One of my biggest issues is when I'm tired. I'll eat just to avoid going to bed, which in itself is such a ridiculous cycle. Sent you a friend request!
  • MonicaF44
    MonicaF44 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional binge eater. I had some success with MFP in the past (lost 25 pounds) but I have gained it all back recently. Mostly due to eating to "feel better" which we all know never works. I would love some friends and support. Happy to return the support as well! we are all taking the right steps!