Commenting on friend's posts

Options
Do you comment on all your friend's MFP generated posts, like the completed dairies and calories burned ones?

Someone who I recently friended asked why some people didn't comment on them and I replied that I usually don't comment on those but I try to save my comments for the posts that the person has actually taken the time to write out because I feel like those are more personal. I honestly don't even like the auto posts very much because I feel like they bury the ones that people actually write themselves.

Anyway... I guess he unfriended me after that. Which is fine, everyone has a different opinion and it's not like we went way back. Lol.

It just got me wondering what other people did and thought. Do you think it's unsupportive to not comment on the generic posts?
I would rather people comment on the posts that I write myself rather than the diary posts and calories burned ones.

Replies

• Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    lionessNV wrote: »
    I'll usually thumbs up an exercise post, but not usually the diary post. I'm with you though, I wish the automatic posts wouldn't bury the meaningful ones.

Yes, that's exactly it. I hate seeing a sincere post asking for help get buried under the auto ones. I don't really notice when people comment or don't comment on my diary or exercise post (because *I* didn't post them in the first place) but it does suck when no one comments on a post that I actually put thought into.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm on board with both of you. Unless someone tells me that the validation helps them some how, or I can see that they need encouragement, I just assume that they're as annoyed with the constant notifications from automatic posts as I am and just haven't figured out how to change their newsfeed settings. If they don't like it, tough.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I will occasionally "like" them (the exercise ones), but not on a regular basis.

I am frankly shocked that somebody would unfriend you over that. It seems really juvenile and silly.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes, but as I'm not on here all day long, some will get missed. There's only so many on a page as you scroll down, and if you have a lot of friends they will not all show on that page. The ones that are visible when I come on, will get a Like or a Comment.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you comment on all your friend's MFP generated posts, like the completed dairies and calories burned ones?

Someone who I recently friended asked why some people didn't comment on them and I replied that I usually don't comment on those but I try to save my comments for the posts that the person has actually taken the time to write out because I feel like those are more personal. I honestly don't even like the auto posts very much because I feel like they bury the ones that people actually write themselves.

Anyway... I guess he unfriended me after that. Which is fine, everyone has a different opinion and it's not like we went way back. Lol.

It just got me wondering what other people did and thought. Do you think it's unsupportive to not comment on the generic posts?
    I would rather people comment on the posts that I write myself rather than the diary posts and calories burned ones.

It depends on the support people want to give and receive what will feel supportive to them. Do what feels right to you.

I don't even look at my newsfeed anymore so have no idea what my MFP friends have done. I am not supportive I guess so they can all unfriend me if it bothers them.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I comment on the ones they actually write and on the weight loss ones. The exercise ones I "like," but the ones that says they completed their diary? No. I honestly don't care what people eat, if they eat "too much" one day or stay just under their goal. I'm frankly amazed at some of the people that look at EVERYONE'S diary, say their dinner sounds amazing, and asks for the recipe. I can see asking in general for ideas, but not on everyone's diary completion posts.
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't need constant thumbs up or comments but if your on this app trying to meet whatever your goals are and your on my friends list... it just makes sense to comment here and there. I mean I want to support and encourage people. But I actually lol, just cleaned out my friends list as they are like way to quite. There were challenges I posted many times and so many milestones I made and nothing. Today was it for me. I finally hit a major milestone finally breaking 200 lbs and didn't get anything. All my good friends are inactive and the active ones are on here for I don't know what. If you want to use the app to track, no doubt I get that. But when I'm the only one putting out positive energy and getting nothing in return, it finally hit me it's a complete waste of my time and energy. However it's sad because I love bonding and supporting one another. So is any of you beautiful people out there are serious and appreciate the power of encouragement, please feel free to hit me up with a friend request. I'd love nothing more than surrounding myself with encouraging peeps ✌
  • ParanormaLauren
    ParanormaLauren Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I will pretty much "like" any post because I think every step counts, I'll pretty much always comment on a loss because a cheering section is nice to have, and I'll comment when I see a post that is actually written out and it seems like I can add some encouragement or advice. I don't expect everyone to do this for me, but I'm a different animal.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'll like them, mostly to show that I have seen them. The diaries I don't look into usually but I will interact with personal posts quite a bit. Occasionally when I see a wonderful number coming past, or a if I know a person has been struggling and still has lost. For instance 1000 days logged I'll comment too big time.

I have many friends and I interact with those that are active too.
    If people want to unfriend me because I do not cheer them on as they want to be cheered on that is their prerogative and loss. I am not here to please them. I have found those are often new people. I have a great bunch of MFP friends that have been friends for a long time and I am with them all the way - Some of them struggle for a number of reasons and I'll stick with them.

But I am not a robot that will pander to any person that comes with some preconceived idea what I should be doing for them. Just as I accept my MFP friends as they are and as they choose to support me, I ask the same of the other.

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll like the big ones, like 50, 75, 100, etc days logged in. Or if I'm super impressed by a workout, which doesn't take much because I'm a lazy weight loser and hate working out. Lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like to look at people's food diary, so will often comment on them. Exercise posts I don't really bother with.

Personal posts I always try and comment on, especially people asking for help
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Im a sucky friend really :( ..but I do my best to keep up. I have a lot of friends and because Im not in their timezone theres often hours worth of feed. Im lucky they are understanding and we generally meet up each morning on my morning motivation post..from there I go and add a morning hello on their wall.
    I do try to comment when there is a personal post ..not generally diaries.
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The recent implication of notifications to recommend that I congratulate everyone on every little accomplishment is both EXTREMELY annoying and offensive. I am perfectly capable of recognizing and giving my "Pals" a proverbial past on the back when deserved
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never comment on MFP generated posts like so and so completed his/her diary and whatnot...I sometimes comment on actual posts, but I'm actually not really super active on my home page.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I try to make comments on my friends post's. Honestly though its more to keep encouraging them to keep at it. I don't keep track of who commented on mine or anything and I am not offended with ones that don't comment on mine . I don't know the reason why you were defriended but they sound like a juvenile .
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I "like" most of the generated posts but I won't if it's "logged in for 5/10/15" days cause I feel that's pandering, lol. I comment on any awesome work outs that impress me or weight losses in general. I get annoyed when someone posts on my page, I reply, then they never reply back (I assumed you were up for a convo if you took the time to post specifically on my page). I keep a small group though and delete most people that have been inactive for more than 2 weeks.

edit to add: I also hate that new notification thingy in the top corner of my app. I actually refuse to even acknowledge it's existence (except for this one post).
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm glad to know that I'm considered "normal" friend. Haha. I try to comment on the posts that people take time to write. The others will usually get a like or occasionally a comment if it's something super impressive.

I don't care that the guy unfriended me. If he's looking for friends who will comment on his every little update, he won't get that here.
    I did think it was a little immature since we were in the middle of a respectful conversation (so I thought). He made a status about people not commenting and I agreed but said that I didn't care for the generic updates and normally didn't comment on them but always tried to comment on the actual statuses. He asked me to clarify what I meant and I wrote out another explaination about how the auto updates bury the more meaningful posts. I even finished with a "that's just my opinion though". Later on I tried to look to see if he replied back and suddenly we weren't friends anymore. Lol. Ok then...
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I "like" pretty much everything unless someone has posted something that I feel inappropriate saying I like.

I'll comment on automatic posts if they contain something I think is awesome or hints that they're having difficulty.

I'll comment on a post they write if I think I have something to add or to give support or motivation. If someone asks for advice that I don't feel qualified to give, I stay quiet. If someone says something I disagree with, I might stay quiet if I don't feel like I can respond in a supportive way.