Do I generally need cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since others already addressed the cardio issues, let me state that at 195 lbs and a male, you are not significantly overweight. We have almost identical stats, except for I am 20 lbs less and I can tell you, you probably only need to lose 20-30 lbs depending on body composition. And the 1500 calories, is pre exercise. I generally eat 2300-2500 to lose about a lb a week. I also aim for 150-175g of protein to support muscle maintenance and to keep me satiatied
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone hates cardio...they think it involves 1-2 hours of torture on a machine. I can pretty much assure you that the fittest people in the world don't do that, so why do every day people think it's needed?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for your cardiovascular health. No need to do 1-2 hours of it and especially doing something you don't like. So many other things you can do and in shorter duration to reap the benefits you need for overall health as stated above.

Try not to think of it in terms "if I don't do it" I won't lose weight. Think of it in terms of enhancing your weight loss efforts and benefiting over all health.
  • BullishBull
    BullishBull Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice, I'm going to start doing HIIT on the bike for 30 minutes. I'm not sure whether to do it on rest days or lift days though. I know I can't do it each day.
  • BullishBull
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Since others already addressed the cardio issues, let me state that at 195 lbs and a male, you are not significantly overweight. We have almost identical stats, except for I am 20 lbs less and I can tell you, you probably only need to lose 20-30 lbs depending on body composition. And the 1500 calories, is pre exercise. I generally eat 2300-2500 to lose about a lb a week. I also aim for 150-175g of protein to support muscle maintenance and to keep me satiatied

My goal is to be between 155 and 165lbs, Is this a good aim for my height?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'd say 155 is too low, but that's because I'm 155 and 5'7" and female. Most guys don't want to be that thin at 5'10".
  • BullishBull
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I'd say 155 is too low, but that's because I'm 155 and 5'7" and female. Most guys don't want to be that thin at 5'10".

The problem is I don't know my body fat percentage so I don't know how much weight I need to lose to get to 10 to 15% BF.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    155 may be fine for you. It puts you at a 22.2 BMI, which is only a guide, but probably reasonable.

You don't need to know exactly how much you'll weigh to get to a certain BF%. Just go with, for now, a 1 lb per week deficit, getting somewhere around 140-150 grams of protein, continue to lift, and mix in a little cardio a few times per week. When you get there, you get there.