cardiovascular exercise and weights on same day?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.

You have to put some thought into what you're after. Because both types of workouts are going to make you fitter in the long run, but they're going to take something out of you in the short term. It'll be up to you to figure out how to manage that to achieve your goals.

Most of the year, I ride a bike, and I'm pretty serious about it. I like to get a ride in after work, usually just a loop around the lake, but Tuesdays I do hill repeats. Those workouts are more regimented and structured, I have power targets I'm trying to hit, and if I can't, there's no point to the workout. This is something I would do before lifting when they both happen on the same day, but when it's just "ride for an hour and have fun" then lifting comes first, because that's not the type of ride where my performance is of the essence.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I cardio in the morning, lift in the early evening.

This has been going well for me recently.
    While you can definitely cardio after you lift, I'm starting to prefer breaking it up so I'm feeling fresh for each. (Especially if the cardio is a priority for your training. Mine is to increase calorie burn and overall fitness, but I feel like I can put more effort into it if I'm not fatigued from lifting prior.)
    As mentioned, depends on your priorities which order you should use.
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Brilliant thank you everyone. My next run is the crack of dawn tomorrow, then few hours later I'll do upper body strength training. I need to brush up on my cardio. Bring on tomorrow morning
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can, but I've found my efforts to definitely be half-assed and compromised when doing them together. Wouldn't do that any more unless I was otherwise stuck with giant logistics problems, re: gym access or whatever.

Now I've defined my fitness "events" into three categories and cycle through them with a separate day for each:
    1. weights
    2. cardio
    3. fasting

My best solution so far. Good luck!
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Cool. I have just watched a video on fasting and a part of me is keen to try it, but I read it can mess with hormones if women do fasting. It does make sense and I believe it would have health benefits but just wonder if it would mess with my mood too much. Also it's meant to be good for the body to only eat one meal a day. I think it would but I'd probably waste away. Some of the things out there are not meant for everyone I think
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fasting is a specialized topic, outside the scope of your question, and I didn't mean to derail into it. Moreso, the point being I do better to split things up ;)
  • Nomoregrainsjustgains
    Options
    Lots of good advice, appreciate all comments